June 22nd, 2016 by Adam Armstrong
Dell Security Releases SonicWALL SMA 100 Series OS 8.5
Dell Security announced the release of the latest OS version of its Dell SonicWALL Secure Mobile Access (SMA) 100 Series, version 8.5. This new version provides mobile and remote workers at SMBs, with policy-enforced SSL VPN access to mission-critical applications, data and resources without compromising security. In fact, with this new release, companies will be able to set BYOD (bring your own device) security policies to protect them selves while allowing end-users to still work on their preferred device.
Following in the footsteps of their April announcement enhancing security for mobile end-user, Dell Security is helping companies with the arduous task of dealing with end-users that have a device that is being used for both personal and business needs creating security risks. Companies have to defend against threats while allowing users to remain productive.
Version 8.5 gives admins the ability to quickly and easily provision secure mobile access and role-based privileges giving workers secure access on their mobile device of choice. It also gives companies greater control in setting security policies. SMA 100 also works with nearly all commonly used mobile devices including Windows, iOS, Mac OS X, Android, Linux, Kindle Fire, and Chrome. Mobile users can use their device to securely access network resources including shared folders, client-server applications, intranet sites, email, and remote and virtual desktop services.
New functionality enhancements in OS version 8.5 include:
- Policy Wizards ‒ Easy-to-use wizards to deploy policies for OWA, ActiveSync, Outlook Anywhere and Autodiscover. This saves IT administrators considerable time for the most commonly created policies, making them more productive, and it can lowers the company’s overall TCO.
- HTML5 Enhancements ‒ Provide end users with a rich access experience within their own choice of web browser, eliminating their need to download, install and maintain additional software on their systems. Everything can be run from within the context of the browser window, making connection to resources very easy and with zero-day support of all major operating systems and browsers.
- Virtual Host Multicore Support ‒ Increases resource capacity of host resources that can be accessed by SMA to provide greater reliability and performance at higher concurrencies of connected users. With this additional resource capacity, concurrent user maximum increases from 50 to 250. Lastly, to align across the entire portfolio, this product previously known as “SRA SMB Virtual Appliance” has now been renamed “SMA 500v.”
New enhancements to Dell SonicWALL SMA 100 series include:
- Web Application Firewall (WAF) Enhancements ‒ Helping to secure internal web applications from remote users, the Dell SonicWALL award-winning WAF engine has been enhanced to detect against additional exploits and threats. This allows customers to ensure that confidentiality of data and internal web services remains uncompromised if a malicious or rogue authenticated user should gain access.
- Geo IP Detection and Botnet Protection ‒ Grants customers with a mechanism to allow or restrict user access from various geographical locations. This also provides additional protection from a compromised endpoint participating in a botnet, further verifying the validity of the connecting device.
- End Point Control (EPC) Enhancements ‒ Various enhancements to the SMA EPC engine provide greater assurance that the endpoint accessing the network is trusted and not malicious.
This SMA 100 Series OS 8.5 upgrade is expected to be available in July 2016 at no cost to customers with active support contracts in place.