March 15th, 2010 by Brian Beeler
Storage Reference Guide
- What is Intel Optane DC Persistent Memory?
- NetApp MAX Data Solution Brief
- Best practices for flash, Veeam and NAS storage
- Overview of containers, Docker and what "cloud native" means
Second Gen Intel Xeon Scalable CPUs (Cascade Lake)
- Intel Releases Second Generation Intel Xeon Scalable CPUs
- VM Density Value Specialized Second Generation Intel Xeon Scalable CPUs
In this series of articles by HP's Brad Parks, we demystify the alphabet soup that segments the DAS, SAN and NAS space, along with providing clarity into the different types of storage and what they mean.
- What is DAS (Direct Attached Storage)?
- What are Storage Area Network (SAN) Arrays?
- What is Network Attached Storage (NAS)?
- What is Unified Storage?
- What is Object Storage?
- Brief from Micron that examines the “multistep write process” for SSDs
- What is Converged Infrastructure?
- Software-Defined Storage: Making the Benefits of the Hyperscale Clouds Available to the Masses
Storage performance depends a great deal on the interconnect or interconnects in some cases. Learn about the variety of networking solutions available and how we deploy them in the StorageReview Lab.
For those running SQL Server 2012 in non-virtualized environments, we have studies on best CPU and best RAM configurations for dual-socket Intel Xeon E5-2600 v2 systems.
Hard Drive Guides
Shingled Magnetic Recording is leading the way to the next generation of hard drive storage. Applications range from client to enterprise data centers. In either case there are fundamental architecture benefits and challenges with SMR that need to be understood.
- Learn how Seagate differentiates their NAS HDDs with IronWolf Health Management
- What is Shingled Magnetic Recording (SMR)?
- Methods of SMR Data Management
- Pick The Right Drive For The Job — 24/7 NAS HDDs vs. Desktop HDDs
SSDs are growing in popularity across segments from consumer computing to enterprise storage. The SSD guide covers the origins and history of the SSD drive all the way down to a detailed look at each component of an SSD and why each is important. SSD Guide
Learn more about SSDs compared to HDDs - SSD vs. HDD
SSD manufacturers release firmware updates from time to time that can improve SSD performance, reliability and compatibility with host systems. Upgrading an SSD's firmware isn't always as straightforward or simple as perhaps it should be however. In this guide, we break down the upgrade process and show you alternative ways to update SSD firmware. How to Upgrade SSD Firmware
Other Storage Guides
Drive encryption is a hot topic as more companies have users taking data outside the company firewall via mobile devices. Learn more about self encrypting drives (SEDs) and their benefits. What is an SED? | Top 10 Reasons to Buy an SED