July 1st, 2012 by Josh Linden
Healthcare Publisher Lifescript Selects HP 3PAR Storage
HP has announced that Lifescript, a family health publisher, has selected HP 3PAR Storage to support increased storage demands and analytic-based decision-making after a tenfold increase in online traffic and the installation of a new business intelligence (BI) platform.
Lifescript reaches more than 10 million people monthly through its website and e-newsletters. Upgrading its data center from EMC hardware to HP 3PAR S400 Storage, and more recently to HP 3PAR P10000 Storage, has enabled an improvement of throughput by eight times, according to Lifescript.
Lifescript’s benefits from a 3PAR Storage solution included a 69 percent performance increase in jobs running on the company’s BI servers. Now Lifescript is processing 5 billion transactions per month via its new BI-intensive Lifescript Advantage platform, which drives readers to appropriate advertisers.
Lifescript HP 3PAR Deployment
HP 3PAR P10000 Storage Specifications
- Drive Description: LFF Fibre Channel/SATA/SSD
- Capacity: 1.6PB maximum
- Host Interface: 8Gb/sec Fibre Channel (192) Ports, 10 Gb/sec iSCSI (32) Ports, Maximum
- Type and Number of Disk Enclosures: (48) 3PAR 40-drive chassis maximum
- Drives per Enclosure: 40
- Cache: 768GB, Maximum supported
- Storage Controller: (8) 3PAR Quad-core 2.8GHz P10000 Controller Node maximum
- Supported Operating Systems: HP-UX, Microsoft Windows 2003, Microsoft Windows 2008, Hyper-V, VMware ESX 4.0 Update 1, VMware ESX 4.1, Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), SLES 10, SLES 11, IBM AIX, Oracle Solaris, Oracle Enterprise Linux, Citrix XenServer
- Redundant power supplies and fans
- Redundant batteries
- A minimum of dual redundant controllers
- RAID 1, RAID 5 and RAID MP for data protection
- High availability cage and high availability magazine
- Warranty (parts-labor-onsite): 3/3/3
The tightly-clustered HP 3PAR Architecture uses Thin Built In technology to maximize capacity utilization and green storage benefits while maintaining high performance levels. Lifescript also implemented HP 3PAR Adaptive Optimization Software, an automatic storage-tiering solution, designed to minimize the need to purchase future storage capacity and automate labor-intensive data administration across storage tiers.
According to Lifescript, switching to HP 3PAR Storage has also:
- Increased business efficiency with a 95 percent latency reduction, enabling Lifescript to process analytics and access applications needed to make real-time decisions
- Ensured 100 percent uptime, allowing Lifescript to provide consistent customer service and data collection
- Reduced overall storage costs by more than 50 percent with HP 3PAR Adaptive Optimization Software.