January 23rd, 2017 by Lyle Smith
Dell 24 Monitor For Video Conferencing Review (P2418HZ)
The Dell P2418HZ is a 24-inch monitor bundled with built-in functionality to make video conferencing a more seamless experience. Remote meetings are a standard practice, so there certainly is a lot of appeal for a purpose-built monitor that is ready out-of-the-box and optimized for sound and video recording. While most business monitors are frugal when it comes to built-in conferencing tech (or are devoid of it altogether), the P2418HZ includes a 2 megapixel full HD image sensor camera with a privacy shutter, noise-cancelling microphone, 5W integrated front-firing speakers and call-centric hardware buttons.
The monitor features a full 1080p resolution with consistent colors as well as a wide 178°/ 178° viewing angle ideal for video conferencing. The Dell P2418HZ also comes with ComfortView. When enabled, the monitor provides an anti-glare, flicker-free experience and reduces blue light emission on screen for optimal eye comfort.
Those working with the Windows 10 platform can use the OS without passwords, as the P2418HZ features secure facial authentication for Windows logins, unlocks and re-authentications.
Dell P2418HZ Specifications
- Display Model Number: P2418HZ
- Viewable Image Dimension: (diagonal) 60.47 cm (23.8 inches)
- Horizontal, active area: 527.04 mm (20.75 inches)
- Vertical, active area: 296.46 mm (11.67 inches)
- Maximum resolution: 1920 x 1080 at 60Hz
- Pixel pitch: 0.275 mm x 0.275 mm
- Aspect ratio: 16:9
- Brightness (typical): 250 cd/m2
- Color gamut (typical): 83% (CIE 1976), 72% (CIE 1931)
- Color depth: 16.7 million colors
- Contrast ratio 1000: 1 (typical), 8 million: 1 (dynamic)
- Viewing angle (typical):
- Vertical/horizontal: 178° vertical / 178° horizontal
- Response time: 6ms (gray to gray)
- Panel type: In-Plane switching technology, Anti-glare with 3H hardness
- Backlight: LED
- Speakers: Dual integrated 5W
- Design features
- Video conferencing features:
- 2.1 Mega-pixel, Full HD image sensor and dual
- IR LEDs with VGA infrared camera, dual digital
- Microphone (Omni-directional), Speakers (2 x 5.0W)
- Stand: Height-adjustable stand (125mm), tilt (-5° to 21°), swivel (45° to 45°), pivot (90° clockwise), built-in cable-management
- Security: Security lock slot (cable lock sold separately), Anti-theft stand lock slot (to panel)
- VESA mounting support: 100 mm X 100 mm
- 1 x DP (ver 1.2)
- 1 x HDMI (ver 1.4)
- 1 x VGA,
- 1 x USB 3.0 port – Upstream,
- 2 x USB 3.0 ports - Side (including 1 x USB 3.0 BC1.2 charging port)
- 2 x USB 3.0 ports – Bottom,
- 1 x Headphone-out/Microphone-in combo jack
- AC input voltage/frequency/current: 100 to 240 VAC / 50 or 60 Hz ± 3Hz / 1.5 A (typical)
- Power consumption (normal operation): 19W (typical); 17.1W (ENERGY STAR)
- Power consumption (Active-off mode): < 0.3 W
- Dimensions (with stand):
- Height (compressed ~ extended): 375.6 mm (14.79 inches) ~ 500.6 mm (19.71 inches)
- Width: 549.8 mm (21.65 inches)
- Depth: 180.0 mm (7.09 inches)
- Weight without stand assembly (For wall mount or VESA mount considerations – no cables): 3.60 kg (7.93 lb)
- Weight with stand assembly and cables: 6.12 kg (13.49 Ib)
- Weight with packaging: 8.25 kg (18.18 lb)
- Environmental compliance: ENERGY STAR, EPEAT Gold, TCO Certified Displays, RoHS Compliant
- Service and warranty: Dell Premium Panel Guarantee, 3 years Advanced Exchange Service and Limited Hardware Warranty, Optional Dell ProSupport (EMEA only)
Design and build
Spanning roughly 22 inches in width, the Dell P2418HZ will sit nicely on a desk or in a conference room. Because it has built-in functionality for video conferencing, the display has a slightly bigger bezel on the top and bottom; however, the borders on the right and left sides are just under a half an inch. The display stand also has a circular cable slot to further help manage cable management.
The Dell P2418HZ has customizable height, tilt, pivot and swivel features, which can be easily adjusted by simply moving the monitor in the position you like. You can lock the position using the stand lock feature by using a M3 x 6mm screw (located on the bottom of the display just above the DP port).
The Dell monitor also features VESA compatible mounting options. Simply use a screwdriver to remove the four screws that are securing the plastic cover and attach the mounting bracket from your specific wall mounting kit to the monitor.
The P2418HZ offers the normal types of connectivity including the regular DP (ver 1.2), HDMI (ver 1.4) and VGA ports, which are located underneath the back panel. In addition, the two USB 3.0 ports are located on the side (including one USB 3.0 BC1.2 charging port) and three on the bottom of the display, one of which is an upstream port. The headphone-out/microphone combo jack is also located on the side.
Six function buttons are located at the bottom right on the front of the P2418HZ display, most of which have functionality specifically designed for video conferencing. First is the Hook button, which is used to accept an incoming invite notification. Next are the mute and volume (up and down) buttons for easy access to audio control (something you don’t normally see on many monitors). To the right are the Menu and Power buttons.
To leverage the Hook functionality and enable Microsoft Skype for Business functions with your monitor, a USB upstream cable must be connected to your computer from the P2418HZ monitor. Once this is done, the Hook button LED will flash during incoming calls on Skype for Business. Simply press the Hook button to answer. Ultimately, many users will probably prefer their mouse when accepting calls, but the functionality is there when needed and it does work rather well.
The on-screen display menu has a clean interface and is fairly easy to navigate via touch-sensitive controls on the bottom edge of the screen. When looking at the main OSD menu, you will see the usual suspects for options, including the Brightness/Contrast, Auto-adjust, Input Source, Color, Display, Menu, and Others. From the Color menu, you will have the choice of preset options, such as ComfortView, which decreases the level of blue light emitted from the screen for a more comfortable experience for your eyes; Multimedia, which changes the color settings to make it more ideal for multimedia applications; and Game, which will optimize the color settings for gaming. Changes made to any of the settings in any of the options are automatically saved when you move to another screen in the menu system or exit the OSD menu.
The built-in webcam ranks well in terms of image quality as well as viewing angle. Under normal office lighting conditions the video quality was smooth and with no noise viewed at full-screen resolution. The image sensor also coped very well with exposure and color correction, keeping the recorded video clean and balanced, even with a window positioned directly behind me. Viewing with lower light (overhead office lights turned off, but still some daytime light coming into the room) the image sensor continued to perform well. Under these conditions some noise was visible in the video stream, but exposure and color accuracy still looked adequate. With the window directly behind my head, the exposure of the window and my head was still evenly balanced.
The Dell 24 Monitor for Video Conferencing is designed to make life easier for those who often find themselves in remote meetings or conferences. Featuring a built-in 2-megapixel full HD image sensor camera with a privacy shutter, noise-cancelling microphone and 5W integrated front-firing speakers; the P2418HZ is equipped to do so. The webcam performed quite well in our testing, handling different lighting scenarios as well as color balancing with ease. With an on-board microphone, users will be able to minimize clutter on their desk from an added device, and get a good distance between it and their keyboard to limit typing noises in a call. The speakers handle calls well, but might be lacking if you are looking to leverage them for watching movies or TV shows in-between calls. Overall though, desk-based video conferencing warriors will find a lot to like in this display that's tuned specifically to meet their needs.