November 3rd, 2015 by Adam Armstrong
Crucial BX200 SSD Makes An Ideal HDD Replacement
Today Crucial announced that its new consumer SSD, the BX200. The drive is aimed at consumers and SMB that are looking for an affordable way to increase performance, see faster boot times, and load applications faster. The BX200 will be replacing the BX100 we previously reviewed. In our review we found that, though the BX100 was inexpensive, it was able to outperform several of the other drives in some tests.
Consumers can start to see a slow down in their PCs once their hard drives (HDD) ware beginning to fill up. The common advice is either add more RAM, if possible, or get a new PC. Both of these solutions are costly and perhaps unnecessary. Another solution could be switching out the HDD for a solid-state drive (SSD). With an SSD users will see faster boot times, speeds up to 13 times faster than HDDs when running applications, and 40 times more energy efficiency, not to mention a quieter system. The new SSD come with Acronis True Image HD data migration software to help them migrate their existing data onto the new drive.
The BX200 utilizes a Silicon Motion SM2256 Controller and Micron 16nm TLC NAND Flash. From a performance perspective, Crucial is claiming sequential read and write speeds up to 540 MB/s and 490 MB/s respectively on all types of data, as well as random read and write speeds up to 66k and 78k IOPS respectively.
- Form factor: 2.5” x 7mm
- Capacities: 240GB, 480GB and 960GB
- Interface: SATA 6Gb/s
- NAND: Micron 16nm TLC NAND Flash
- PCMark Vantage (HDD test suite score): Up to 86,000
- Sequential 128KB READ: Up to 540 MB/s
- Sequential 128KB WRITE: Up to 490 MB/s
- Random 4KB READ: Up to 66,000 IOPS
- Random 4KB WRITE: Up to 78,000 IOPS
- MTTF: 1.5 million device hours
- TBW: 72
- Static and dynamic wear leveling
- Uncorrectable bit error rate (UBER): <1 sector per 10^15 bits read
- Acronis True Image HD data migration software included
- Supported by the Crucial Storage Executive tool (latest version 3.24)
- 3-year warranty
Availability and pricing
The Crucial BX200 is available today in three capacities 240GB, 480GB and 960GB with MSRPs of $84.99, $149.99 and $299.99, respectively.