July 21st, 2014 by Lyle Smith
WD Red Pro and Expanded Capacities of WD Red HDDs Released
WD has announced the expansion of WD Red line of SATA hard drives for home and small office NAS systems with the release of a 5TB and first-to-market 6TB capacity for NAS-specific storage as well as the introduction of WD Red Pro hard drives, which are designed specifically for the medium to large business NAS market. The WD Red 3.5-inch hard drives are now shipping in 1TB to 6TB capacities, while the new WD Red Pro 3.5-inch hard drives are available in 2TB to 4TB capacities.
WD Red NASware 3.0
WD Red hard drives are architected specifically for the distinct environment of NAS as well as the increasing demand for affordable, reliable, and compatible storage that strive to reduce customer total cost of ownership. The 5TB and 6TB models allow for greater storage capacity and increased performance with NASware 3.0, which is an enhanced version of WD’s original NASware technology that is designed to improve reliability and system performance, reduce customer downtime, and to simplify the integration process. In addition, the WD Red line of HDDs feature 3D Active Balance Plus, an enhanced balance control technology that substantially improves overall drive performance and reliability.
- WD Red is designed for SOHO and Consumer NAS systems that require compatible and efficient storage
- 3.5 Inch, 1.2TB; 5-platter design (6TB)
- Support 1-8 bay NAS systems with NASWare 3.0
- Capacities offered: 5TB, 6TB
- 64MB buffer, 6Gb/sec, Intellipower
- Low acoustics, low power
- Advanced format technology
- 3-year limited warranty
WD Red Pro
The WD Red pro line is designed for medium to large businesses, supporting eight to 16 bay NAS systems either in tower or rack form factors. The enhanced functionality provides reliable, high performance storage powered by NASware 3.0.
- WD Red Pro is designed for medium to large-scale business NAS storage systems that require robust and highly reliable storage
- 3.5 Inch, 800GB; 5-platter design (4TB)
- Supports up to 16 bay NAS systems with NASWare 3.0
- Capacities offered: 2TB – 4TB capacities
- 64MB buffer, 6Gb/s, 7200 rpm
- Supports up to 16 bay NAS systems
- Extended thermal cycle burn-in testing
- Hardware-based vibration compensation
- Advanced format technology
- 5-year limited warranty
Also announced is the expansion of the WD Green line of cool and quiet hard drives, which are now available in 5TB and 6TB models for high capacity consumer storage.
All high capacity WD 6TB hard drives integrate easily with WD’s My Cloud, My Cloud EX2, My Cloud EX4, My Cloud Mirror personal cloud storage in addition to the My Book and My Book Duo external drive solutions. Additionally, they support a wide array of WD OEM NAS partners.
Availability and Pricing
WD Red and WD Red Pro are now available at select U.S. retailers and distributors and come with three- and five-year limited regional warranties, respectively. WD offers free premium 24x7 dedicated support for WD Red customers.
The following are the MSRPs:
- WD Red 5TB (model #: WD50EFRX) $249.00
- WD Red 6TB (model #: WD60EFRX) $299.00
- WD Red Pro 2TB (model #: WD2001FFSX) $159.00
- WD Red Pro 3TB (model #: WD3001FFSX) $199.00
- WD Red Pro 4TB (model #: WD4001FFSX) $259.00
UPDATE 7/24/2014 - WD Red Pro Review Posted
UPDATE 8/15/2014 - WD Red 6TB Review Posted