May 6th, 2015 by Adam Armstrong
Google Announces Cloud BigTable Database Service
Google announced a new cloud service today, Google Cloud Bigtable. Cloud Bigtable is a fully managed, high-performance, extremely scalable NoSQL database service offered through the industry-standard, open-source Apache HBase API. The new service is powered by Bigtable, the same database that drives Google Search, Gmail, and Google analytics.
Businesses are grappling with the explosion of data and how to efficiently gather insights from their data. With the coming age of the Internet of Things, businesses will become even more data-centric. Time needs to be spent working on applications not on building and managing infrastructure. Google Cloud Bigtable is designed to handle huge volumes of data. It excels at large ingestion, analytics, and data-heavy serving workloads. And is ideal for companies such as financial services, AdTech, energy, biomedical, and telecommunications industries.
Key benefits include:
- Performance: With single-digit millisecond latency and over 2X the performance per dollar of its direct competition, Cloud Bigtable delivers unmatched price-performance for data intensive applications
- Open Source Interface: Because Cloud Bigtable is accessed through the HBase API; it is natively integrated with much of the existing big data and Hadoop ecosystem and supports Google’s big data products. Additionally, data can be imported from or exported to existing HBase clusters through simple bulk ingestion tools using industry-standard formats.
- Low Cost: By providing a fully managed service and exceptional efficiency, Cloud Bigtable’s total cost of ownership is less than half the cost of its direct competition.
- Security: Cloud Bigtable is built with a replicated storage strategy, and all data is encrypted both in-flight and at rest.
- Simplicity: Creating or re-configuring a Cloud Bigtable cluster is done through a simple user interface and can be completed in less than 10 seconds. As data is put into Cloud Bigtable the backing storage scales automatically, so there’s no need to do complicated estimates of capacity requirements.
- Maturity: Over the past 10+ years, Bigtable has driven Google’s most critical applications. In addition, the HBase API is an industry-standard interface for combined operational and analytical workloads.
Google Cloud Bigtable is available today in beta form. Service providers such as SunGard, Pythian, CCRi, and Telit Wireless Solutions have been assembled to enable a diverse and expanding set of Cloud Bigtable use cases for our customers.