June 24th, 2017 by Adam Armstrong
News Bits: Seagate, Synology, X-IO, Ascolta, Dell, DDN, Druva, Pivot3, Excelero, & Comtrade
This week’s News Bits we look at a number of small announcements, small in terms of the content not the impact they have. Seagate releases 8TB Game Drive Hub for Xbox and a 2TB Game Drive for PS4. Synology releases two new NAS, the DS1817 and the DS1517. Ascolta and X-IO partner to deliver HPC at the edge. Dell launches world’s first 4K laser projector. DDN named to $1 billion+ valuation Storage Unicorn list. Druva extends Data Protection and Governance capabilities to SharePoint Online. Pivot3 receives Common Criteria certification. Excelero wins first patent for SAN leveraging NVMe. Comtrade introduces data protection solution built for Nutanix.
Seagate Releases 8TB Game Drive Hub For Xbox & A 2TB Game Drive For PS4
Earlier this month, Xbox announced its new “Netflix-like” program called game pass that allows gamers to download unlimited (though there were only a 100 titles or so at the beginning) games. Seagate released a new Xbox drive at the time. Now Seagate is releasing an 8TB Game Drive Hub. The Hub can store 200 titles and has to USB ports on the front making it easy to charge controllers.
Now that Sony has finally allowed their PlayStation 4 to support external storage, Seagate is also announcing a 2TB external game drive for the PS4. All the benefits that came with the earlier game drives now for the PS4 (System Software version 4.50 or higher).
The Game Drive Hub for Xbox and the Game Drive for PS4 are both available now for $239.99 and $109.99, respectively.
Synology Releases 2 New NAS, The DS1817 & The DS1517
Synology releases two new value series NAS the DiskStation DS1817 and the Diskstation DS1517. The DS1817 is the first value series NAS to be equipped with built-in 10GbE LAN ports and an expandable RAM module. The DS1817 scales up to 180TB and can hit speeds of 1,577MB/s read and 739MB/s write in RAID5. The DS1517 can scale up to 150TB and can hit speeds of 449MB/s read and 436MB/s write. Both new DiskStations are powered by DSM 6.1 operating system.
Ascolta & X-IO Partner To Deliver HPC To The Edge
The advanced analytics company, Ascolta, announced that it would be leveraging X-IO’s Axellio platform to bring powerful computing to the edge. This partnership will allow its customers to gain real-time performance for complex analytics in demanding environments. Axellio’s highly modular nature along with its upward specs of 88 cores, 2TB of RAM, and up to 460TB of dual ported NVMe storage, allowing it to replace several traditional platforms taking up less space and power while providing much higher performance.
Dell Launches World’s First 4K Laser Projector
Dell announced the world’s first 4K UHD high-brightness ultra-short throw laser projector, the Dell Advanced 4K Laser Projector (S718QL). This new projector is ideal for a boardroom or classroom that needs a good picture even in bright light. The projector provides 8.3 million pixels and only need 4 inches between it and the wall. Dell is also announcing a new 38-inch curved UltraSharp monitor (U3818DW). This ultra-wide monitor is ideal for financial customers, engineering, or any customer that needs room to multitask.
The Projector is expected to be available July 19, 2017 for $5,999 and the new ultra-wide 38-inch monitor is expected to be available at the end of this week for $1,499.
DDN Named To $1 Billion+ Valuation Storage Unicorn List
DDN is happy to report this week that it has landed itself on the “Storage Unicorn” list. This is a list of private storage vendors that are deemed to have a valuation of $1 billion or more. The list has been compiled by the well-respected Condor Consulting Group.
Druva Extends Data Protection & Governance Capabilities To SharePoint Online
Druva announced that it has now can fully protect Microsoft Office 365 investments with the inclusion of SharePoint Online. Customer benefits include:
- Centralized information management: Druva inSync centralizes visibility into corporate data stored within Microsoft Office 365 (OneDrive, Exchange Online and SharePoint) and end-users devices, enabling enterprises to regain control over users’ data. This ensures that both end-user productivity and corporate governance requirements are met.
- Robust timely backup and archiving of content to prevent data loss: Druva inSync automatically backs up Office 365 data, cloud to cloud, without impacting the corporate network or requiring user intervention. IT administrators can recover directly back to their Office 365 environment, from any snapshot point, dramatically reducing the time needed to recover lost data.
- Comprehensive data governance: Druva inSync collects and preserves dispersed enterprise data wherever it resides — including endpoints and cloud apps. Druva inSync merges all data sources to provide a single dashboard, with customer compliance and legal workflows, so enterprises can easily search, collect and preserve data to support legal and compliance needs.
Pivot3 Receives Common Criteria Certification
Pivot3 announced that it is the first HCI vendor to receive Common Criteria certification. Common Criteria certification is a key certification required for U.S. federal government purchases. Pivot3’s vSTAC platform is now Common Criteria certified opening it up to a new field of customers.
Excelero Wins First Patent For SAN Leveraging NVMe
Excelero announced that it has been awarded a U.S. patent (number 9,658,782) for its NVMesh sever SAN solution. As we previously stated, NVMesh is a 100% software-only solution that lets users benefit from the performance of local storage with the convenience of centralized storage. NVMesh can scale NVMe performance linearly at almost 100% efficiency. It does this by shifting data services from centralized CPU to complete client-side distribution. NVMesh is highly flexible and can be deployed as physically converged or disaggregated. Ideal use cases include: Internet of Things (IoT), Big Data analytics, and Artificial Intelligence as well as web-scale enterprise loads.
Comtrade Introduces Data Protection Solution Built For Nutanix
Comtrade Software has introduced the first purpose-built data protection solution for the Nutanix Enterprise Cloud Platform, HYCU. Benefits include:
- 100% automated and focused for greater application transparency. With a patent-pending Application-AwarenessSM technology, HYCU is the industry’s only automated application discovery solution that provides newfound visibility into VMs, pinpointing where each application is running. HYCU also creates application specific recovery workflows so IT administrators are easily able to backup applications with a single click and an automated self-service portal enables business users to easily manage their own data.
- Deploys and recovers in minutes for little to no disruption. With almost no learning curve for IT administrators since the usability and terminology aligns with Nutanix technology, HYCU takes four minutes of ramp-up learning, three minutes to deploy and two minutes to recover identified data. Because this API-driven solution is tightly integrated with Nutanix, HYCU provides an automated application recovery of workflows and tasks that can easily be implemented without the need for professional services.
- Drives significant value from existing infrastructure investments. HYCU provides a cost-effective solution that complements the Nutanix platform with full data protection capabilities, allowing companies to leverage Nutanix AHV to eliminate the need to pay for a hypervisor and greatly improving the ROI of their investment in Nutanix.