June 18th, 2019 by Lyle Smith
Parallels RAS 17 Released
Parallels Remote Application Server (Parallels RAS) version 17, which focuses on simplifying end-user computing for service providers (SPs) and enterprises, is now available. Parallels claims that RAS 17 improves launch time of applications by using AI and has added further security features such as Google Authenticator integration. Moreover, version 17 is the first to add a web-based helpdesk console, which is expected to help users better manage Microsoft Remote Desktop Services, virtual desktop infrastructure and DaaS infrastructure.
Parallels RAS 17 is an all-in-one solution that makes it easier for end users to “consume” business applications. It also allows them to scale within a single cloud or multiple clouds
Parallels indicates the following new and key features of version 17:
- Session Pre-Launch: Uses machine learning to map users’ computing habits, applications used and login time, enabling it to pre-launch everything for increased productivity.
- Google Authenticator: This will provide an additional layer of security using a time-based one-time password.
- Granular Permissions for Administrators: IT administrators can configure specific permissions to different administrators and delegate control of Parallels RAS objects, including RAS infrastructure components, Remote Desktop Session Host (RDSH), and session management.
- Windows Server 2019 Support: This allows Parallels RAS to leverage the advanced features of the latest version of Microsoft RDS and Hyper-V.
- Web-based Helpdesk Console: This gives administrators and delegated admins access to manage RDSH sessions, VDI and applications.
- REST API: This new API means easier integration with scheduling and workflow applications, alongside the existing PowerShell API, which enables larger enterprises, independent software vendors (ISVs) and SPs to quickly integrate Parallels RAS into their ecosystem.
- Improved VDI Security: Parallels RAS now prevents unwanted access to VDI by dynamically managing users' remote access rights as required, enabling remote access permissions during login and revoking permissions during logoff.
- Simplified VDI and RDSH Deployment: IT admins can now easily manage, rapidly deploy and quickly scale out their end-user computing (EUC) environment with the improved management capabilities of Parallels RAS for larger deployments. Additionally, version 17 supports Scale Computing's KVM-based hypervisor, HC3
- Extended HTML5 White-Labeling Capabilities: Expanded white-labeling options for the Parallels RAS HTML5 Client enable SPs and enterprises to easily implement specific branding requirements for customers, such as color, logo, language and more.
- New Reporting and Monitoring Capabilities: New reports related to application usage and gateway sessions can be made available for managers, business owners and tenants to consume. In addition, administrators can now create and view their own custom reports, improving day-to-day administration and management efficiencies.
Availability and Pricing
Parallels offers a full-featured, free 30-day trial of Parallels RAS 17, which includes 50 concurrent user licenses.