August 23rd, 2016 by Adam Armstrong
EMC Updates Its Data Protection Suite For VMware
Today EMC announced updates to its Data Protection Suite for VMware as well as new products designed to optimize the protection of VMware workloads across the spectrum of VMware environments. The new enhancements include support for VMware Virtual SAN, VMware vSphere, and expanded data protection options for VCE VxRail Appliances. EMC also announced that it would be demonstrating VMware integration in its primary storage arrays at VMworld.
EMC has integrated its data protection portfolio with VMware software enabling vAdmins, through the standard VMware interface, to provision, monitor and manage the protection of their virtual workloads. The updates announced today along with EMC Data Domain Virtual Edition will, according to EMC, provide fast, simple, and efficient protection for VMware workloads. Also the support of RecoverPoint for VMs for VMware vSphere APIs for IO filtering, will allow vAdmins to manage replication through vSphere Storage Policy-Based Management, leveraging the common VMware framework.
While the VCE VxRail appliance comes with built-in protection capabilities, EMC has expanded it further with its data protection products providing application consistency for backups as well as comprehensive monitoring, reporting and backup file search capabilities. VCE VxRail appliances are powered by VSAN and can be deployed with EMC Data Protection Suite for VMs and EMC Data Domain Virtual Edition.
Benefits on VxRail include:
- Simplified management makes of data protection for VMs fast and easy
- Centralized monitoring, analysis, reporting and search of backup data gives users one place to find out everything they need to know
- A single vendor approach offers a unified point of contact for sales and support from hardware to software to protection and enables management through a single native interface
- Backup times can be reduced by up to 50%
- Recovery times are up to 30x faster when compared to traditional image-level restores
- By deploying solutions that are built to work together, data protection for VMs on VxRail Appliances can be up-and-running in minutes
- Protection storage requirements can be reduced by up to 30x
- Up to 1,000 virtual machines can be continually protected for zero RPO
- Software-defined protection storage offers simple deployment
- Support for mission-critical applications, including Exchange, SAP, SQL, SharePoint, Oracle, DB2, Sybase, and IBM Domino for backup and replication
For VSAN users, they can now use EMC RecoverPoint for VMs for industry-leading Disaster Recovery support. EMC is also announcing that they are now the only VM replication vendor to support VMware vSphere APIs for IO Filtering. EMC states that RecoverPoint for VMs employs advanced multi-site synchronous and asynchronous replication technology, offering up to zero RPO with any point in time recovery via a highly resilient, no-single-point-of-failure architecture for the most advanced VSAN topologies. RecoverPoint for VMs is storage agnostic and works with VSAN and non-VSAN environments. vAdmins can manage replication through vSphere Storage Policy-Based Management with VMware vSphere APIs for IO Filtering integration.
EMC Data Protection Suite for VMware is available today. EMC Data Domain Virtual Edition is available today. EMC RecoverPoint for VMs supports VMware vSphere APIs for IO filtering integration today.