June 12th, 2013 by Josh Shaman
HP Converged Cloud Expansion Announced
HP is announcing innovations to its Converged Cloud portfolio for greater agility and innovation as well as reduced cost for hybrid cloud environments. Part of that announcement is that HP has now delivered the next phase of a common OpenStack-based architecture for HP’s private, managed and public cloud offerings. On top of that, HP announced new software and services that accelerate time-to-market for private cloud, and HP has unveiled new capabilities for its managed and public cloud solutions. Much of what HP is announcing comes on the heels of research that HP commissioned that suggests that by 2016, 75% of enterprise IT will be delivered across hybrid cloud. The study also open standards are important for cloud deployment.
As we noted above, HP is providing OpenStack-based architecture for its Converged Cloud. Cloud OS is an open cloud technology platform that leverages OpenStack to enable workload portability, simplified installation and enhanced life cycle management across hybrid clouds. HP CloudSystem is the company's private cloud product which embeds HP Cloud OS technology. To speed up deployment, HP is also now offering CloudSystem Enterprise Starter Suite, which reduces up-front costs by 20% by bundling application cloud services. Also with HP Cloud OS, HP Moonshot servers will be offered to provide simplified provisioning and management for specific cloud workloads such as dedicated hosting and large-scale websites. For customers looking to test-out HP OpenStack-based architecture to see benefits for their cloud needs, HP is offering HP Cloud OS Sandbox for free.
Finding a partner to get organizations' started in cloud adoption has been a barrier according to 43% of respondents to an HP-commissioned survey. For that reason, HP Converged Cloud Professional Services Suite is being introduced. The suite is a series of streamlined services to help customers understand the benefits of the cloud. These new offerings include HP Converged Cloud Support, HP Cloud Design Service, HP Cloud-ready Networking Services, HP Proactive Care for CloudSystem, and HP Cloud Security Risk and Controls Advisory Services, as well as enhancements to HP Applications Transformation to Cloud Services.
HP Enterprise Services is enhancing its portfolio of cloud services to address needs for mobile and enterprise applications. These services include:
- HP Enterprise Cloud Services for Enterprise Applications that give clients choice and flexibility when integrating and deploying applications in the cloud while maintaining business continuity and ensuring data security;
- HP Mobile Enterprise Cloud Solution provides a fully managed and integrated set of mobile consulting and management services to securely enable applications and data sharing;
- HP Enterprise Cloud Services - Private Cloud enables clients to quickly adopt cloud services by designing, building and managing a complete Infrastructure as a Service that creates the foundation for an enterprise-wide shared IT services model.
- HP Cloud Security Risk and Control Advisory Services, a new offering in the HP professional services portfolio that helps clients safeguard their information, manage potential for data breaches and remain compliant while transitioning applications to public, private and hybrid clouds.
HP is also announcing Cloud Services enhancements that include the following:
- Access to new, larger instance types that enable users to run big data analytics and high-performance computing workloads in the public cloud.
- New virtual private cloud network functionality, powered by software defined networking that provides advanced security when connecting their public cloud to on-site networks.
- New custom image uploading that increases customer productivity by simplifying the set up and deployment of instances with images unique to their business requirements.
- A new Bulk Import Service that speeds application delivery by allowing users to provide hard drives for direct data upload into HP Cloud Block Storage and HP Cloud Object Storage.
HP Financial Services is also introducing new IT investment solutions to enables organizations to find new ways to free up capital to meet their business needs. Capacity on Demand for HP CloudSystem enables customers to gain access to a 30% technology buffer of computing capacity while still managing up-front and operational costs. Additionally, a new global relationship agreement provides organizations with an umbrella contract and process and service arrangement for all cloud and IT investments.