March 1st, 2016 by Lyle Smith
LaCie Updates 5big Thunderbolt 2 With Seagate Enterprise NAS HDDs
LaCie has announced a significant capacity increase for their 5big Thunderbolt 2 professional 5-disk storage solution by leveraging Seagate’s new 8TB Enterprise NAS HDDs. With this new build, the updated LaCie 5big now offers an impressive 40TB in storage (i.e. 33 percent capacity increase compared to the last generation) as well as an extended warranty. The new LaCie 5big is designed for 4K video workflows due to its Thunderbolt 2 connectivity and hardware RAID reliability.
4K video hasn’t exactly hit the mainstream as far as films and television go, though 4K TVs seem to be selling well. However there is a big demand for it in home video, especially with action cameras such as GoPro. While these cameras can take some beautiful footage from unique angles, when one goes to edit the film, they find that they can use tremendous amounts of capacity. LaCie adding extra capacity to its 5big Thunderbolt 2 makes it an attractive option for 4K camera editors and enthusiasts.
Main features include:
- Seagate Enterprise HDDs: Seagate’s new Enterprise Class hard disks are built to provide excellent accessibility, reliability and versatile performance in 24x7 operation. Supporting 8,760 hours of operation per year also gives it best of class availability. The Enterprise Class drives also feature 256 MB cache, 7200 RPM and rack environment optimization, allowing it to excel in aggressive workloads.
- Thunderbolt 2: The equipped Thunderbolt 2 technology allows the LaCie 5big to boast impressive sustained speeds of up to 1,050MB/s, which is more than enough bandwidth to edit several video streams in native 4K resolution.
- RAID Modes: The LaCie 5big can be configured in various RAID modes to satisfy many different use cases. LaCie adds that users can connect the 5big to another computer while keeping the RAID configuration. In addition, the protected RAID modes and LaCie 5big’s hot-swappable disks allow for zero data loss or downtime, even if a disk failure occurs.
- Daisy chaining: The LaCie 5big features two Thunderbolt 2 ports for daisy chaining, which enable up to six Thunderbolt devices on a single computer using a single cable. In addition, because thunderbolt 2 is backward compatible, you will be able to use the same cables and connectors as first-generation Thunderbolt devices and computers.
- Efficient cooling: The LaCie 5big uses three key components to keep the system cool and running smoothly: an innovative heat-dissipating aluminum casing, jumbo heat exhausts, and an ultra-quiet Noctua cooling fan, the latter which prevents heat from swarming the internal components. In addition, the 5big’s enclosure has been built using a seamless aluminum cast to help protect internal components.
Availability and pricing
The LaCie 5big Thunderbolt 2 featuring Enterprise Class hard disks are slated for a release sometime this quarter and priced at roughly $4,000 in a 40TB capacity.
The new LaCie 5big with Enterprise Class disks is also backed by a five-year warranty, which covers drives, enclosure, and spare parts, ensuring a solid long-term investment.