December 7th, 2016 by Adam Armstrong
Nexenta Introduces NexentaEdge DevOps Edition
Nexenta has announced a new edition of its NexentaEdge, its file and object storage platform. The new NexentaEdge DevOps Edition is designed to work with scalable on-premise container-converged infrastructure as a high-performance storage solution.
Containers are being rapidly adopted across the industry. Solutions from Docker and Kubernetes are accelerating containerization of applications and as a result, organizations will need purpose-built infrastructure to run, manage, and support them. To address this issue, Nexenta has created its NexentaEdge DevOps Edition a container-converged infrastructure, optimized to support and protect containerized applications and their data on scale-out clusters of industry standard servers. The DevOps Edition takes all of the benefits of NexentaEdge and extends them to containerized applications running on the same hosts.
- Reliable scale-out infrastructure for containerized applications, providing all necessary storage, networking and compute services
- A software-defined platform capable of being deployed on a wide range of industry standard servers
- High-performance, multi-protocol storage services for container images and the applications they run, including block, file and object protocols
- Fully integrated with standard container management frameworks like Docker Swarm, Docker Unified Control Plane, and Kubernetes
- Container deployment - runs as containers and managed as containers through standard tools
As far as how the platform will work, Nextena states: “NexentaEdge DevOps Edition nodes are deployed as containers on physical or virtual hosts, pooling all their storage capacity and presenting it as native block devices, NFS shares, or S3 objects to containerized applications running on the same servers.” Customers can use Docker tools for storage management and a Docker plug-in is incorporated that automatically provisions storage for new applications.
According to Nexenta, using NexentaEdge DevOps Edition will enable customers to easily deploy, run, and protect stateful containerized applications such as databases like MySQL, MongoDB, or scale-out analytics tools like Hadoop and Cassandra.
Availability and pricing
NexentaEdge DevOps Edition, Baltika Release is available free of charge on Docker Hub and GitHub.