August 12th, 2015 by Lyle Smith
SanDisk CloudSpeed Ultra Gen. II SATA SSD Announced
SanDisk has announced its new CloudSpeed Ultra Gen. II SATA SSD for cloud service provider (CSP) and software-defined storage (SDS) vendor environments in capacities up to 1.6TB. Designed for mixed-use and latency-sensitive transactional workloads--including e-commerce and collaborative online services--the CloudSpeed Ultra Gen. II boasts 32,000 4K write IOPS with 530MB/s in throughput. Additionally, SanDisk quotes their drive with 80ms in random read write latency as well as 99.9 percent QoS.
At just over $0.04 per IOPS, the CloudSpeed Ultra Gen. II is certainly built with a focus on both value and performance, providing its users with an attractive price/performance ratio and excellent latency-sensitive workload performance. SanDisk also believes that this cloud elasticity allows the drive to meet today’s cloud-capacity standards all the while avoiding poor hardware resource utilization, wasted energy, and weak system- and software-level security.
In addition, the CloudSpeed Ultra Gen. II SSD comes with SanDisk’s innovative Guardian Technology Platform, which is a combination of efficient error correction and detection technology, full data path protection, and data fail recovery. SanDisk’s new SSD includes a limited five year warranty.
CloudSpeed Ultra 2.5” SATA SSDs Specifications
- Interface: SATA 6Gb/s
- Sequential Read/Write: Up to 530/460 MB/s **
- Random Read/Write (IOPS): 76K/32K IOPS**
- Average Write Latency: 56µ (microseconds)
- Capacity/NAND: 15nm MLC, 400GB, 800GB, and 1.6TB
- Data Reliability (BER): 1 unrecoverable error in 1017 bits read**
- MTBF: 2 Million Hours
- Data Fail Recovery: Flexible Redundant Array of Independent Memory Elements (FRAME) Technology
- Power Fail Recovery: Write cache immunity with in-flight data protection
- Temperature Monitoring: S.M.A.R.T. warning with performance throttling
- DWPD (Random/Workload): 1.8 DWPD
- VCC: 5.0 V +10%/-5%
- Active (Typ.): 3.8W average sequential write 2.6W average sequential read
- Idle: 1.3W
- Shock (operating): 1000g @ 1.0 ms, 1 shock along each axis, X, Y, Z in each direction
- Vibration (operating): 3.22 g rms 5-1,000 Hz
- Operating Temperature: 0⁰ C to 70⁰ C (internal)
- Storage Temperature: -40⁰ C to 95⁰ C
- Humidity: 5% to 95% non-condensing, relative humidity
- Warranty: Lesser of 5 years or maximum endurance used
The CloudSpeed Ultra Gen. II SSD is slated for an August availability to select CSP and SDS customers as well as on a staggered channel release through the Enterprise Channel Partner program.