August 19th, 2014 by Lyle Smith
SanDisk Ultra II SSD Announced
SanDisk has announced their new Ultra II SSD with enhanced SSD Dashboard. The Ultra II is designed to deliver an inexpensive and easy upgrade solution for customers looking to improve the performance, battery life, and power efficiency of their PCs. In addition, the enhanced SSD Dashboard offers tools and visibility for drive’s performance, security, and available firmware updates.
The SanDisk Ultra II SSD quotes sequential read speeds up to 550MB/s and write speeds of up to 500MB/s while leveraging TLC NAND flash. SanDisk’s new drive also comes equipped with nCache 2.0 technology, which uses a two-tiered caching architecture in order to optimize drive speed and endurance. The endurance management is a key differentiator for SanDisk, enabling them to get a long lifespan out of the low-cost TLC NAND.
The SanDisk Ultra II SSD comes with the enhanced SanDisk SSD Dashboard, which displays the drive’s performance, manual or scheduled TRIM, available firmware updates and tips on how to maintain the drive in optimum shape. In addition, users can choose from 17 different languages as well as the ability to attain assistance from “Live Chat” and “Ask a Question via Email” buttons. The improved software package is designed to give consumers a detailed look at their drive, making it easier to manage and intuitive to own.
Additional value-added software features of the SanDisk SSD Dashboard include:
- Cloning– Ability to create an exact replica of an old drive onto the new SanDisk Ultra II SSD in three easy steps with Apricorn’s EZ GIG IV. With the cloning software, there is no need to re-install the operating system, programs or settings.
- Antivirus– Easy-to-use security for what consumers do most online - email, socialize, and browse with Trend Micro Titanium Antivirus+.
- Theft Recovery– Created by Absolute Software, Absolute LoJack is the leader in consumer data protection and theft recovery, providing a persistent solution that can locate a device if stolen and return it to the rightful owner.
- Sequential Read: 550MB/s
- Sequential Write: 500MB/s
- Random Read:
- 81,000 IOPS (120GB)
- 91,000 IOPS (240GB)
- 98,000 IOPS (480GB)
- 99,000 IOPS (960GB)
- Random Write:
- 80,000 IOPS (120GB)
- 83,000 IOPS (240GB-960GB)
Pricing and availability
The SanDisk Ultra II SSD is backed by a 3-year warranty and will be available online and through SanDisk’s worldwide network of authorized distributors and from resellers in September.
Pricing and capacities are as follows: 120GB (MSRP $79.99), 240GB (MSRP $114.99), 480GB (MSRP $219.99), and 960GB (MSRP $429.99).