July 12th, 2012 by Josh Linden
Toshiba Announces AL13SE Lineup of 10,000 RPM SAS HDDs
Toshiba has announced the AL13SE series of 2.5-inch 6Gb/s SAS hard disk drives for server and storage applications. The AL13SE is the first 10,000 RPM enterprise drive from Toshiba to offer 900GB capacity and is also the first of Toshiba’s 10k RPM drives to employ a dual-stage head positioning actuator.
The dual-stage actuator offers performance gains that include a 32% increase in sustained transfer rate, according to Toshiba’s benchmarks. The AL13SE Series uses Supported Enhanced Power Condition State technology to lower RPM idle speed, decreasing energy usage and extending the life of the drive when it is not being required to operate at its full performance. Toshiba has specified the AL13SE series for 2,000,000 power-on hours, a 25% increase prior-generation Toshiba enterprise hard drives.
The AL13SE series is available mounted in a 3.5-inch bracket for use in legacy systems. AL13SE drives also maintain compatibility with older systems by offering a 512-byte sector size.
Toshiba AL13SE Specifications:
- Capacity: 900GB (AL13SEB900), 600GB (AL13SEB600), 450GB (AL13SEB450), 300GB (AL13SEB300)
- Average seek time: Read (typ.) 3.7ms
- Write (typ.): 4.1ms
- Interface: SAS 2.0
- Interface speed: 6 Gb/s
- Rotation speed 10,500 RPM
- Buffer memory: 64 MB
- External dimensions (W x D x H): 69.85 mm (2.75") x 100.45 mm (3.95") x 15.00 mm (0.59")
- Weight: 240g or less
- Power Consumption Idle (ready): 4.7 watts (max)
- Idle (low rotational speed): 2.7 watts (max)
- Acoustic (Ready): 30dB
- Vibration Operating: 9.8 m/s2 (1.0G) 20 to 300 Hz
- Non-operating: 49 m/s2 (5.0G) 20 to 300 Hz
- Shock Operating: 980 m/s2 (100G) 1ms
- Non-operating: 3,920 m/s2 (400G) 2ms
The AL13SE series is available now in a 2.5-inch form factor. 3.5-inch models will be available in September 2012.