May 11th, 2017 by Adam Armstrong
VMware Unveils Pulse IoT Center
This year at Dell EMC World, VMware Inc. unveiled its new secure, enterprise grade Internet of Things (IoT) infrastructure management solution, VMware Pulse IoT Center. This solution will give what VMware is calling complete control of IoT infrastructure and things to IT and OT teams. VMware Pulse IoT Center is the first solution in the new family of VMware IoT offerings and is all about more efficient management, operation, and scale as well as better protection for customers’ IoT projects.
IoT is growing rapidly. According to IDC there were 12.1 billion IoT endpoints in 2015 and five years later there will be over 30 billion. Gartner estimates that in the next few years nearly all IoT projects will use some sort of IoT gateway. IoT will become more and more prevalent in enterprises meaning companies will need an easy way to manage, monitor, and keep secure both their infrastructure and data. Enter VMware’s Pulse IoT Center.
Leveraging technologies from both VMware AirWatch and VMware vRealize Operations, the new solution is focused on enterprise IoT. The new solution is able to meet the needs of both IT and OT teams while still being able to support a broad range of edge systems and their connected devices. Users will have real-time visibility into the health of “things” giving them the ability to proactively address issues. The streamlining of IoT projects that can be achieved through Pulse IoT Center can accelerate ROI. And it will tackle a growing concern, security across things, edge, network, and applications.
With VMware Pulse IoT Center, customers will be able to manage broader, operate smarter, protect better, and innovate faster through the following:
- Easily on-board, manage, monitor and secure diverse IoT edge systems, connected devices and applications from a single console
- Interoperate between heterogeneous edge systems and connected devices with different hardware, operating systems and communication protocols
- Define and track what, where and when things are updated over the air (OTA) or changed -- with a sophisticated and flexible rules engine.
- Real-time infrastructure analytics and real-time monitoring
- Ability to visualize all edge systems, connected devices and their relationships (i.e., status, location, dependencies) IoT use case grouping
- Defining KPIs / measures, alerts, and actions.
- Minimize data exposed by creating a tunnel from data point to application by using VMware NSX as an add-on
- Enterprise wipe of data from devices at any time if they are exposed to security threats
- Maintain up-to-date firmware and security patches and upgrade software OTA via an integrated policy engine.
- Simplify the deployment of an IoT use case with one management tool for all devices
- Speed time to value with a simple way to onboard devices and update them over time
- Dynamically deliver the right information to the right thing at the right time -- from edge to cloud with software lifecycle management.
Dell EMC will be offering VMware Pulse IoT Center as the preferred enterprise management and monitoring solution for Dell Edge Gateways. This offer will help customers to manage all their IoT devices through a single tool.
VMware Pulse IoT Center is expected to be available this year. The solution will be sold as both a standalone solution by VMware and partners as well as a bundled offering via partners such as Dell EMC and others.