November 20th, 2012 by Lyle Smith
WD Black 4TB Hard Drive Announced
Western Digital has announced the WD Black, its highest performance, highest capacity SATA desktop hard drive to date. The new 3.5-inch, 7200 RPM hard drive is designed for performance and reliability and can handle intense desktop computing with its 4TB of storage, 64 MB cache, dual stage actuator technology, SATA 6 GB/s interface, and integrated dual processor.
Additional features of the WD Black include:
- Dual processor – Twice the processing power to maximize performance.
- Dual actuator technology – A head positioning system with two actuators that improves positional accuracy over the data track(s). The primary actuator provides coarse displacement using conventional electromagnetic actuator principles. The secondary actuator uses piezoelectric motion to fine tune the head positioning to a higher degree of accuracy.
- IntelliSeek – Calculates optimum seek speeds to lower power consumption, noise and vibration.
- StableTrac – The motor shaft is secured at both ends to reduce system-induced vibration and stabilize platters for accurate tracking during read and write operations.
- NoTouch ramp load technology – The recording head never touches the disk media ensuring significantly less wear to the recording head and media as well as better drive protection in transit.
Pricing and Availability
WD's new 4TB (model WD4001FAEX) hard drives are available through select distributors and resellers and will be available for $339.00 USD MSRP. Additionally, the WD Black is covered by a five-year limited warranty.