April 19th, 2016 by Lyle Smith
WD Gold Datacenter HDDs Announced
WD has announced the expansion of its HDD portfolio with with the addition of the new WD Gold datacenter hard drives. Placing itself nicely alongside alongside the company’s existing lines like the Black and Red HDDs, the Gold drives are built to handle a variety of use cases, including small- to medium-scale enterprise servers/storage and rack-mount datacenter servers/storage enclosures.
The WD Gold hard drives are launching in capacities up to 8TB and offer HelioSeal helium-technology for performance, ideal capacity per square foot, power efficiency and low power consumption for datacenter environments. As such, WD indicates that their new datacenter hard drives are optimized to help reduce the TCO of servers and storage systems, allowing IT administrators to overcome growing storage capacity needs without going over budget. WD Gold hard drives will also include a premium dedicated support line for customers worldwide.
WD Gold features include:
- Improved power efficiency - New electronics enhance power efficiency up to 15 percent. HelioSeal technology enables up to 26 percent lower power consumption.
- Better performance – Up to 18 percent sequential performance improvement over previous generation WD Re 4TB datacenter drives, and up to 30 percent improvement in random write performance over previous generation WD Re 6TB datacenter drives through media-based cache, and up to 3x improvement over competitive offerings
- High reliability – WD Gold incorporates best-of-breed design, manufacturing and test processes to achieve one of the highest reliability ratings in the industry – 2.5 million hours MTBF (8TB offering)
- Dedicated Premium Support Line and WD Gold Model Numbers – Western Digital offers a 24/7 premium support line for WD Gold customers
- WD Gold model models include:
- 8TB: WD8002FRYZ
- 6TB: WD6002FRYZ
- 4TB: WD4002FYYZ
WD Gold drives are now available at the WD Store.