October 9th, 2014 by Lyle Smith
WD Sentinel DX4200 Storage Server Now Available
WD has announced the Sentinel DX4200 storage server is now available, expanding their business-class NAS portfolio. The WD Sentinel DX4200 is a complete solution that provides SMBs the advantages of on-premise centralized storage and is designed to meet the demands of today's SMBs by combining Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 workgroup operating system and the Intel Atom C2338 Dual Core CPU. In addition, because it supports up to 16TB in capacity, the DX4200 allows small businesses to expand their office storage by upgrading the drives as their businesses grows in size.
WD's Sentinel DX4200 uses Windows Storage Server to offer several ways for businesses to protect their important information without user intervention. The NAS device comes pre-populated with WD Se enterprise-class drives, Windows Storage Spaces for data protection, backup software, redundant networking ports and a redundant power option. The WD Sentinel devices are also designed for easy setup and administration, the former which uses a Windows based setup wizard for the easy integration of the storage server into office networks. In addition, the Administration Dashboard gives users the ability to easily complete tasks, such as adding users, creating shared folders, setting up permissions and managing client computer backups. Active Directory join allows the Sentinel DX4200 to be seamlessly integrated into existing infrastructure and networks as well as the remote access and management of the server with built-in secure Remote Web Access.
WD Sentinel DX 4200 provides data protection all devices that reside on a small office network and is also supported by one-year of WD Guardian Services as well as the following features:
- Comes pre-configured with WD's enterprise-class drives for durability and reliability.
- Features simple mirrored and parity volume configurations for data protection and speed.
- WD SmartWare Pro Backup software provides data back-up for up to 25 devices on your network.
- Dual-redundant Gigabit Ethernet supports teaming modes like Adaptive Fault Tolerance (AFT), which automatically switches to the second network port in the event of a network failure, Adaptive Load Balancing to share the network load and provide fault tolerance in the event of switch port, cable or adapter failure, and Static Link Aggregation for increased network throughput by transmitting over both network adapters.
- Users can connect to the small business cloud provided by optional disaster recovery software and store their data offsite for disaster recovery.
- Pre-installed activated operating system.
The WD Sentinel DX4200 is backed by WD's customer service and support. All WD Sentinel DX4200 small business customers will also receive WD Guardian Pro for one year at no cost (starting at the time of the first call) with the option to upgrade their service plan to one of the following:
- WD Guardian Pro, which offers a one year support agreement with WD service, express parts replacement and priority access to technical support.
- Guardian Extended Care, a service that extends the product warranty from the standard two-year limited warranty to five years.
WD Sentinel DX4200 Specifications:
- Available models:
- WDBRZD0080KBK-NESN - 8 TB
- WDBRZD0160KBK-NESN - 16 TB
- Form factor: 4-bay desktop
- CPU: Intel Atom C2338 1.7 GHz dual core processor
- Memory: 4 GB ECC (expandable to 16 GB)
- 3.5” Data drives (included): 2 or 4 (field upgradeable)
- 2.5” Boot drive: 1 x 500GB (Hardware RAID 1 Ready) with option to add a second boot drive
- Dual Gigabit Ethernet ports
- USB 3.0 x4
- Network interfaces: 2 x 1Gb/s (redundant)
- Panel display LCD screen
- Redundant Power Capable
- Power Supply: Power Supply (DC in) x 2, 1 adapter
- Operating System: Operating system Windows Storage Server, 2012 R2 Workgroup
- Disk redundancy: Windows Storage Spaces (Software RAID)
- File storage (NAS): NFS, CIFS/SMB v3.0
- Block storage (SAN): iSCSI target and initiator
- Server backup and recovery: Back up your appliance to a USB drive, a drive on the network, or the cloud
- Client backup and recovery: 25 licenses of WD Smartware Pro backup
- Maximum users: 50 users
- Data Security:
- Network authentication: Active Directory Join
- Remote access: Via FTP/FTPS, Remote Desktop
Price and Availability
WD Sentinel DX4200 small office storage server is now available at select U.S. retailers as well as at wdstore.com.
Pricing is set at $1699.99 USD for 8TB and $2199.99 for the 16TB.