March 6th, 2012 by Brian Beeler
Western Digital S25 SAS Hard Drives Announced
Western Digital has announced the family of S25 SAS hard drives, their third generation. The S25 hard drives feature a 2.5" form factor, with 10,000 RPM spin speed, 32MB cache and SAS 6 Gb/s interface and delivers 204 MB/s transfer rates. The S25 comes in 300GB, 450GB and 600GB capacities, along with a new 900GB offering.
The W25 is highlighted not just by performance and capacity, but reliability as well. Western Digital offers a five year warranty with the S25 and a MTBF of 2 million hours. The S25 is also power friendly, taking down under 8 watts when active, and is the first to include support for T10 Protection Information (PI) for advanced data integrity, and the first to provide optional models that feature drive-level self-encryption that meets the Trusted Computing Group's specification for Enterprise Class A encryption.
WD S25 Specs
- Rotational Speed 10,000 RPM (nominal)
- Buffer Size 32 MB
- Transfer Rate (Buffer To Disk) 204 MB/s (Sustained)
- Capacities - 300GB, 450GB, 600GB and 900 GB
- Interface SAS 6 Gb/s
- Form Factor 2.5-inch Drive
- 0.59" x 3.94" x 2.75"
- Weight 0.51 Pounds
- Operating Shock (Read) 65G, 2 ms
- Non-operating Shock 300G, 2 ms
- Idle Mode 30 dBA (average)
- Seek Mode 0 37 dBA (average)
- Operating 41° F to 131° F
- Non-operating -40° F to 158° F
- Read/Write 7.80 Watts
- Idle 5.30 Watts
- MTBF - 2 million hours
- Five year warranty
WD S25 hard drives are currently shipping to OEMs with general availability expected in the second quarter.