February 25th, 2016 by Adam Armstrong
Dell Introduces New Data Protection Solutions
Today Dell Inc. introduced several new data protection solutions as well new additions to its award-winning Dell DR series of deduplication appliances. This announcement is centered on helping organizations better protect business-critical systems, applications, and data – either on premises or in the cloud. Dell’s update to its data protection product portfolio not only helps customers by giving them more flexibility as their needs evolve, it will also help drive innovation to deal with this same evolution of the market. These new solutions include the general availability of Dell Data Protection | Rapid Recovery; three new data deduplication appliances models; new Dell Data Protection | Endpoint Recovery – Free Edition; and the new Dell Data Protection | NetVault Backup 11.
First announced back in October of 2015, Dell Data Protection | Rapid Recovery hits general availability today. This new software integrates features of AppAssure with other leading Dell IP. Dell claims this integration will help eliminate downtime for customer environments. Dell states customers can eliminate downtime through ZeroImpact recovery and the use of Rapid Snap for Applications that takes snapshots of entire physical or virtual environments up to every five minutes. In the case of an issue companies will have immediate access to its data and be able to restore it in real time as though nothing happened at all. Dell is also offering agentless protection for VMware VMs with Rapid Snap for Virtual technology.
Dell is also releasing new additions to its Dell DR series of deduplication appliances include the new Dell DR4300e, DR4300 and DR6300. These new DR appliances are built on the latest 13th Generation Dell PowerEdge Servers to deliver increased capacity, speed, and performance, so customers can backup more data and store less. The new DR appliances also leverage the industry’s first, free source-side deduplication capabilities that Dell states will relieve network bandwidth congestion and boost ingest performance, ensuring that backups get completed on time, every time. Dell’s DR appliances support 16 of the industry’s leading backup applications. If customers already have a data protection environment the DR appliances can easily be added. Dell goes on to claim that customers can see deduplication ratios from 15:1 up to 30:1 that, combined with a flexible, all-inclusive licensing model, will deliver better performance for a lower cost.
New releases include:
- The DR4300 delivers up to 108TB of usable capacity while ingesting up to 23TB of data per hour. The entry-level DR4300e is a smaller scale, low-cost appliance that can scale up to 27TB while offering all the features of the DR Series. With these offerings, small and mid-market organizations can now easily adopt enterprise-grade data deduplication capabilities that have traditionally been out of reach.
- The DR63000 is a larger midmarket and small enterprise solution that delivers up to 360TB of usable capacity while ingesting up to 29TB of data per hour, delivering the scalability needed to support growing environments.
One place in enterprises where data protection is overlooked at times is the data the is being created by endpoint devices. Dell is now offering Dell Data Protection | Endpoint Recovery – Free Edition for Windows clients that gives what Dell is calling a light-weight, easy-to-use software offering with a robust endpoint protection and recovery solution. This freemium offerings is for single users and is a set-and-forget client protection solution with client protection solution designed for a single user, the freemium offering provides file deduplication and compression.
Dell is also introducing a new version of its Dell NetVault Backup, a cross-platform, enterprise backup and recovery solution, version 11. Dell already claims the NetVault Backup offers one of the broadest spectrums of OS, application, and backup target support in the industry. The latest version delivers increased scalability and improved performance along with several other features.
New features of Dell Data Protection | NetVault Backup 11 include:
- Enterprise Windows client deployment manager that allows customers to target up to 1,000 clients for automated installation, increasing both efficiency and scalability.
- High-performance file system multi-streaming capability that allows customers to break up backups into smaller, simultaneously executed chunks to increase performance.
- Restartable VMware backups so users pick up where a job left off.
Availability and pricing
- Dell Data Protection | Rapid Recovery is available now worldwide starting at $1,199 for new users. A free upgrade for current AppAssure license holders is also available.
- The Dell DR 4300e, DR 4300, and DR6300 are available now worldwide. Pricing starts at $13,000 for the DR4300e, $43,000 for the DR4300, and $87,000 for the DR6300.
- Dell Data Protection | Endpoint Recovery – Free Edition is expected to be available worldwide beginning in early March.
- Dell NetVault Backup 11 is available now worldwide starting as low as $1,265.