February 5th, 2019 by Adam Armstrong
IBM Updates Its Storage Portfolio
A week out from its annual Think event (this year in San Francisco) IBM has made a handful of enhancements to its storage portfolio. These enhancements run the gamut from containers to blockchain to IBM’s Cloud Private. The company has also made enhancements to its AI tools and data protection portfolio.
As the technological landscape stays in a state of flux, vendors need to continually innovate to keep pace and make customers happy and productive. Last year we were introduced to IBM Storage Solutions, a line of all-in-one offerings. According the company, IBM Storage Solutions are driven by pre-tested and validated reference architectures (blueprints) designed to make deployment of these Solutions easier, faster, and lower risk. IBM Storage Solutions cover capacity, hardware, software, and servers. Since its introduction IBM has been adding new solutions to address new real-world issue that need to be tackled.
For the very promising blockchain technology, the company has added the new IBM Storage Solution for IBM Blockchain. As blockchain can help secure and retain data sovereignty requirements it has several uses in various industries. IBM storage is flexible enough to be used with blockchain to either store data on-chain or off-chain. Capabilities of the new solution include:
- Improves on- and off-chain data resiliency and performance with enterprise-proven NVMe-based IBM FlashSystem 9100 or LinuxONE Rockhopper II infrastructure.
- Reduces test, development and deployment time for both on/off-chain solutions, improving time to new profits from days to hours.
- Increases blockchain security with 100% application and data encryption support.
- Increases data resiliency with a software-defined architecture featuring IBM Spectrum Virtualize, IBM Spectrum Copy Data Management and IBM Spectrum Protect Plus.
IBM has two announcements surrounding its IBM Cloud Private for Data offering. The solution is now supported on its NVMe-based IBM FlashSystem 9100. And the company introduced the IBM Storage Solution for Analytics. This solutions helps with the infrastructure challenges of implementing the latest multicloud data analytics and AI applications. Benefits include:
- Unifies and speeds up data collection, orchestration and analysis, while reducing time to value.
- Simplifies Docker or Kubernetes container utilization for new analytics-based applications.
- Increases data security inside the private cloud by supporting FIPS 140-2 encryption.
- Leverages on-premises data storage while adding cloud-based analytics tools.
In addition to the above, IBM also enhanced its Spectrum Storage family. These enhancements include:
- Enhanced the blueprint for IBM Storage Solution for IBM Cloud Private with unstructured data support through IBM Spectrum Scale, giving customers an uncompromised choice of persistent file storage along with the existing support for block and object storage resources.
- IBM Cloud Object Storage (COS) now offers an integrated NFS/SMB access for object storage that provides an easier and more cost-effective way to read and write file data directly to IBM COS.