April 2nd, 2012 by Brian Beeler
LSI Nytro PCIe SSD, Cache and RAID Family of Storage Solutions Launched
LSI has launched a revamped portfolio of storage solutions around PCIe SSDs, caching and RAID products. Originally coined the WarpDrive 2, the 2nd-generation WarpDrive falls under the new LSI product family as the LSI Nytro WarpDrive. The rest of the portfolio takes on LSI Nytro branding and includes the Nytro XD PCIe SSD with intelligent caching software and the Nytro MegaRAID RAID card with caching SSD built-in. LSI is also offering the predictor software tool to help organizations find the right acceleration option for their usage profile.
LSI Nytro WarpDrive
The LSI Nytro WarpDrive is the second-generation product line of PCIe SSDs aimed at providing drop-in performance boosts, offering huge I/O gains and low latency to improve application performance and response time. The Nytro WarpDrives will be offered in capacities ranging from 200GB to 3.2TB in MLC or SLC NAND flash, powered by the LSI SandForce flash storage processors and LSI SAS controllers. Aimed at replacing the I/O performance of large arrays of hard drives, the Nytro WarpDrive requires significantly less cooling, power, as well as footprint in a datacenter environment.
- High performance PCIe Solid State Storage
- Low latency and a low CPU burden
- Designed to maximize transactional I/O performance
- Online transaction processing web serving
- Data analytics and warehousing
- Data mart and data mining
- High-performance computing
LSI Nytro XD
For SAN and DAS caching applications, LSI is also releasing the Nytro XD Application Acceleration Storage Solution, which combines a Nytro WarpDrive with Nytro XD caching software to vastly improve the performance of existing storage solutions. The Nytro XD solution caches frequently accessed data, improving both read speeds using a PCIe Nytro WarpDrive as cache storage. In some situations, this offers up to a 30x performance improvement, with greatly reduced application latency without having to upgrade the backend IT infrastructure.
- Combines LSI Nytro WarpDrive with the Nytro XD Software
- Offers out of the box application acceleration for the SAN
- Speeds up SAN (FC, iSCSI) and complex DAS connected storage
- Utilizes the performance of the Nytro WarpDrive
- Dramatically improves I/O performance to meet the requirements of the high-performance applications.
LSI Nytro MegaRAID
Combining the reliability and proven performance of the LSI MegaRAID product line with the high-performance PCIe acceleration of the new Nytro family, LSI is releasing the new Nytro MegaRAID adapter. Designed as an evolution of the popular CacheCade RAID caching solution, the Nytro MegaRAID brings the flash-storage on-board instead of requiring businesses to configure an array of consumer or enterprise-grade SATA or SAS SSDs themselves. This solution allows for greater performance benefits, reduced management costs while still providing a seamless caching implementation for SAS-connected DAS storage.
- Complete solution for acceleration of SAS connected Storage.
- Provides SAS connectivity, RAID protection and read and write caching software.
- Includes embedded solid state storage directly on card for extreme performance and improved manageability
- Automatic, dynamic classification of “hot" data
LSI Nytro Predictor Software Tool
The LSI predictor software helps businesses better understand their workload to help determine which Nytro application acceleration solution is right for their situation. The software has an easy to use GUI and works in both wizard-style and more full-featured modes.
Pricing and Availability
LSI Nytro products are going to be generally available in the second quarter, with OEM customers already sampling solutions. Nytro WarpDrive cards start with an MSRP of $6,600, Nytro XD packages start at $9,400, and new Nytro MegaRAID cards start at $1,699.
UPDATE - LSI Nytro WarpDrive Review Posted