April 6th, 2016 by Adam Armstrong
NETGEAR Release New Arlo Q Plus Security Camera
Today NETGEAR Inc. announced that they have released yet another camera for their Arlo HD Camera System (formally the VueZone Camera System). This new release builds off of NETGEAR’s last Arlo Q camera that had two-way audio, built-in night vision, rolling seven days of free cloud storage for video recordings, and 1080p HD video. Unlike the previous version the Q Plus now support Power over Ethernet (PoE) and comes with a MicroSD card slot for local recordings in the event of a network failure.
While the previous Arlo cameras were great for homeowners that wanted a DIY security system, the new Q Plus is aimed at small to medium businesses (SMBs). SMBs now will have an easy to install and maintain camera system they can place anywhere they need an extra eye on things, all that is needed is an Ethernet connection. Customers will be able to connect the new Arlo Q Plus with existing network infrastructure using PoE switches. While the switch need not be a NETGEAR switch, they do offer an expansive lineup of ProSAFE PoE/PoE+ switches.
As stated above, the Arlo Q Plus delivers 1080p HD video clarity at 30fps. The night vision option can reveal details even in complete darkness. The two-way audio can be used for easy communication with employees on different sides of the facility. Users can customize sound and motion alerts that trigger recordings. Just like the Arlo Q, the Plus supports mobile apps that can send users alerts when motion or sounds trigger the cameras. Arlo Q Plus purchasers are given a free basic video cloud storage plan, which stores both motion- and sound-triggered videos in the cloud for seven days at no cost. For an additional fee, users can add the Continuous Video Recording plan (CVR plan), which continuously uploads everything your cameras records to the cloud, allowing users to have easy access without worrying about storage issues.
NETGEAR will showcase its lineup of Arlo Security Cameras this week during the ISC West tradeshow. Security installers can visit Booth 23000 of the Sands Expo in Las Vegas to see demonstrations of Arlo products and other innovative PoE solutions for small businesses and smart homes. While the Q Plus is designed for indoor usage it can be combine with Arlo’s wire-free camera system for a complete camera security system.
Key Features of Arlo Q Plus:
- Detailed 1080p HD video with built-in night vision capabilities
- Effortless, set-up within minutes through iOS or Android mobile devices
- Multiple connectivity options with dual-band N600 WiFi, Ethernet or PoE
- Free rolling 7 days of cloud recording for the life of the camera
- Optional upgrade service plans to store motion and audio triggered recordings for 14 or 30 days, plus the option to continuously record 24/7 video securely to the cloud
- Micro SD card slot for local recording backup
- Free Arlo mobile app for fast access to all Arlo cameras and recording library
- 2-way audio for communication via the Arlo app or browser from a smartphone, tablet or computer
- Desktop, magnetic, and wall mounts included for flexible camera placement
- 130-degree wide-angle lens for corner-to-corner coverage
Availability and pricing
The Arlo Q Plus 1080p HD Security Camera is expected to be available in early May with a MSRP of $249.99.