June 27th, 2018 by Adam Armstrong
NETGEAR Releases Unmanaged PoE Switches
NETGEAR Inc. has launched a new family of 16-port and 8-port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switches with what it is calling the industry’s first flexible Power over Ethernet (PoE) integrated technology. This new family allows SMB and SOHOs to deploy denser PoE+ devices and high-power PoE+ devices. This would lead to lower costs and better energy efficiency.
Small business have been leveraging switches for some time but now home offices and even smart homes need to be using them as more and more devices are connected with things such as VoIP phones, IP security cameras, video-over-IP endpoints, sensors, LED lighting, secure access door locks, and other IoT devices. A lot of these new devices either require PoE or users prefer PoE to cut down on wiring. Some of the new generations of devices (Wave 2 802.11ac wireless access points and pan-tilt-zoom HD surveillance cameras) require PoE+ power.
NETGEAR is looking to address the needs of more connected devices with less wiring with its new Unmanaged Switch Family that promises to install PoE+ ports in any environment, wherever they are needed. The small footprint switches are quiet and easy to mount where needed but the real benefit is in their built-in intuitive power selector and support optional interchangeable external power supplies. This allows users to increase the power to the unit as needed by the devices added. In other words, if one’s devices need more power over time, more power can be added to the switches for PoE without replacing them altogether or overprovisioning power to begin with.
Key features and benefits include:
- 8 or 16 PoE/PoE+ Gigabit Ethernet Ports provide up to 30W per port to any power-hungry device
- 60W (GS108LP) or 123W (GS108LP) across 8 ports
- 76W (GS116LP) or 183W (GS116PP) across 16 ports
- Flexible PoE Budget for GS108LP/PP (60W, 83W, 123W) making it easy to increase or decrease with interchangeable external power supply units.
- Flexible PoE Budget for GS116LP/PP (76W, 115W, 183W) is easy to increase or decrease thanks to an interchangeable external power supply unit.
- Flexible mounting options (rack, wall or desktop) adapt to your needs and configuration in any environment.
- 8 Gbps (8-port models) or 16 Gbps (16-port models) non-blocking switching architecture offers maximum throughput at wire speed without congestion for all the connectivity your devices need.
- Small, sturdy form factor with silent, fan-less operation is ideal for noise-sensitive environments like an open office floorplan or your home office or entertainment center.
- Plug-and-play, automatic connectivity to your router or modem eliminates the need for an IT expert or complicated user manual.
- LED activity indicator on each port so you can easily check network activity status and get maximum power savings through Energy Efficient Ethernet.
- Auto-negotiation between the switch and your end devices means they automatically connect at the highest common speed.
The new switch family comes with NETGEAR’s ProSAFE Lifetime Hardware Warranty including Lifetime Next Business Day shipping for part replacement and Lifetime Technical Support options
Availability and Pricing
NETGEAR’s new PoE/PoE+ Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switches are available now.
- 8-Port PoE/PoE+ Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch with 60W PoE budget (GS108LP) — $99.99
- 8-Port PoE/PoE+ Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch with 123W PoE budget (GS108PP) — $129.99
- 16-Port PoE/PoE+ Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch with 76W PoE budget (GS116LP) — $179.99
- 16-Port PoE/PoE+ Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch with 183W PoE budget (GS116PP) — $219.99
Additional optional power supplies supporting 60W, 83W or 123W of PoE power on the GS108LP/GS108PP, or 76W, 115W, or 183W for the GS116LP/GS116PP will be available for purchase separately.