January 21st, 2019 by Adam Armstrong
New Bits: Datera, HPE, XenData, Zadara, VMware, Pivotal, Excelero, NVIDIA, & More
This week’s News Bits we look at a number of small announcements, small in terms of the content, not the impact they have. Datera joins HPE Complete. XenData launches LTO Tape to Cloud Migration Service. Zadara announces Virtual Private Storage Array for VMware Cloud on AWS. VMware named validated partner for Google’s Android Enterprise Recommended for EMMs. Pivotal releases PKS 1.3. Excelero announces 4x revenue growth for 2018. Google Cloud makes NVIDIA GPUs available in new regions. Rackspace delivers end-to-end management for AWS Database Services. Kingston releases Managed Model of IronKey D300 Serialized Encrypted USB. HP unveils new HP Education Edition Chromebooks.
Datera Joins HPE Complete
On February fourth Datera Inc. will be joining HPE Complete. This will give the company HPE’s worldwide reach to customers while allowing HPE customers to take advantage of both technologies through a single purchase order. The companies go on to state that the new HPE Complete Datera Solution will provide the enterprise performance of the leading flash storage arrays on a true software-driven platform that delivers even greater automation and agility, often at lower cost than competing solutions.
XenData Launches LTO Tape to Cloud Migration Service
XenData has launched a service that migrates LTO Tape content to the cloud. The new service supports data formats include LTFS, Cache-A TAR, XenData TAR and Front Porch DIVA proprietary formats. The service supports migrating data to AWS, Azure, or Wasabi and can also migrate content to 6 TB LTO7 or 12 TB LTO8 cartridges.
Zadara Announces Virtual Private Storage Array For VMware Cloud on AWS
Zadara announced that its storage solutions are now available for customer of VMware Cloud on AWS. Now customers that enjoy all of the benefits of VMware Cloud on AWS can leverage Zadara Virtual Private Storage Arrays as well.
VMware Named Validated Partner For Google’s Android Enterprise Recommended for EMMs
Google announced that it was expanding its Android Enterprise program to now include EMM providers. VMware is announced as one of the validated partners with its VMware Workspace ONE Unified Endpoint Management (UEM) supported from Day 0. Validation includes:
- SafetyNet integration
- Advanced zero-touch enrollment
- Advanced passcode management
- Enterprise factory reset protection
Pivotal Releases PKS 1.3
Pivotal announced the Pivotal Container Service (PKS) 1.3 is now generally available. The latest version not only delivers Kubernetes 1.12 but also Azure support. New capabilities include:
- Better tenant isolation with multiple tier 0 and selectable tier 0 routers (video)
- Improved traceability and visibility with routable CIDRs for pods
- Better networking optimization with selective IP address range and subnet size for pod IP addresses
- Increased scalability by supporting larger load balancers
- Better isolation across environments by deploying multiple VMware PKS control planes with a single NSX-T instance
Excelero Announces 4x Revenue Growth For 2018
Excelero announced that its FY 2018 saw a 4x increase revenue over FY 2017 that itself saw a 4x revenue increase over FY 2016. The company reported a 3x new customer growth and the revenue was a result between new and returning customers. Being a private company we have no hard numbers to report.
Google Cloud Makes NVIDIA GPUs Available In New Regions
Google Cloud announced that it is making NVIDIA GPUs available in Brazil, India, Tokyo, and Singapore for the first time. NVIDA also announced the beta of its Tesla T4 GPUinstance in GCP. This expands NVIDIA’s reach across the globe while bringing its benefits to even more customers.
Rackspace Delivers End-to-End Management for AWS Database Service
Rackspace launched its Rackspace Managed Database Services for Amazon Web Services (AWS). This service addresses several concerns including:
- Full Lifecycle Management – Provides support for migration, implementation, administration, and optimization of data to allow customers to focus more time and resources on their business, while leveraging these cloud-native data technologies.
- Enhanced Data Analytic Capabilities – Delivers support for leading AWS data and business intelligence management services, while also providing ongoing management for flexible, scalable cloud analytics already on AWS.
- Modular Pricing – Rackspace services are provided in a modular approach to allow customers to consume the appropriate services at any point in their cloud journey and create customized solutions that enhance their use of AWS’ suite of data services.
Kingston Releases Managed Model Of IronKey D300 Serialized Encrypted USB
Kingston released it’s the new Managed Model of its IronKey D300 Serialized Encrypted USB flash drive. The new drive is ideal of industries where data encryption is essential and helps with compliance with GDPR and the NY financial regulations. Key specs include:
- Encrypted: With encryption, no one can access data that is stored on the drive without knowing the password.
- Meet frequently requested IT requirements: IronKey D300 is FIPS 140-2 Level 3 certified and TAA compliant, meeting the most frequently requested corporate and government IT requirements.
- Easily manage thousands of drives: With IronKey EMS or SafeConsole users can centrally administer access and usage policies and easily manage thousands of drives.
- Unique Serial Number and Scannable Barcode: Time saver, simply read or scan the barcode, when deploying, when it is returned as well as during any physical auditing.
- Interface: USB 3.1 Gen 1
- Capacity: 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, 128GB
- Speed: USB 3.1 Gen 1:
- 4GB: 80MB/s read, 12MB/s write
- 8GB & 16GB: 165MB/s read, 22MB/s write
- 32GB: 250MB/s read, 40MB/s write
- 64GB: 250MB/s read, 85MB/s write
- 128GB: 250MB/s read, 85MB/s write
- USB 2.0:
- 4GB: 30MB/s read, 12MB/s write
- 8GB–128GB: 30MB/s read, 20MB/s write
- Dimensions: 3.06″x 0.9″x 0.47″(77.9 mm x 22.2 mm x 12.05 mm)
- Waterproof: Up to 4 ft.; conforms to IEC 60529 IPX8.
- Operating Temperature: 32°F to 140°F (0°C to 60°C)
- Storage Temperature: -4°F to 185°F (-20°C to 85°C)
- Compatibility: USB 3.0 compliant and 2.0 compatible
- Managed Drive Compatible with: Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7 (SP1), Mac OS (v. 10.11.x - 10.14.x)
HP Unveils New HP Education Edition Chromebooks
Ahead of the BETT education conference this week, HP announced two new Chromebooks the HP Chromebook x360 11 G2 Education Edition and HP Chromebook 11 G7 Education Edition PCs. The HP Chromebook x360 11 G2 EE is:
- Versatile and adaptable to every student’s learning style. With the unique identity model of Chromebooks, students can customize their accessibility settings once, and then log into any device and the settings will follow – saving time and enabling personalized learning experiences for each and every type of learner. Enable blended learning and collaboration with Android apps and HP Classroom Manager. With a 360° hinge, optional HP Wacom EMR pen and dual cameras, this device supports type, touch, write, capture, and draw interactions in four user modes – stand, tent, tablet, and notebook – so students can create, present, and collaborate in an easy way.
- Rugged to withstand the school day and beyond. Deploy a sturdy device built for the whole day with a pick-proof, anchored, minor-spill-resistant keyboard, shock-absorbing molded rubber trim, and Corning Gorilla Glass. Reinforced USB-C ports on each side provide flexibility with a universal charging standard for a variety of devices. It undergoes MIL-STD 810G and 76 cm drop on concrete testing.
- Packed with performance. Give students a boost with the secure and intuitive Chrome OS, the latest Intel processors, and up to 8 GB memory and 64 GB EMMc storage. Enjoy a long battery life that recharges fast. Connect in large spaces with 2x2 WLAN, elevated with MIMO technology for faster transfer speeds in classrooms or school settings where students access online teaching materials, submit homework, and take online exams at the same time.
The HP Chromebook 11 G7 EE provides:
- Sleek design that meets durability. This sturdy device is built for the whole day with a pick-proof, anchored, minor-spill-resistant keyboard and shock-absorbing molded rubber trim. Measuring only <19mm, it undergoes MIL-STD 810G and 76 cm drop on concrete testing. Reinforced USB-C ports on each side provide flexibility with a universal charging standard for a variety of devices.
- Powerful performance. Give students a boost with the secure and intuitive Chrome OS, the latest Intel processors, and up to 8 GB memory and 64 GB EMMc storage. Enjoy a long battery life that recharges fast and connect in large spaces with 2x2 WLAN and MIMO.
- Essential collaboration and creativity features. Enable comfortable, convenient small-group discussions with HP Classroom Manager and Android apps. Get easy views from the 180° hinge that lies completely flat and optional HD IPS touchscreen.