March 7th, 2018 by Adam Armstrong
VMware Expands Its Cloud Services
Today VMware, Inc. announced that it has expanded its portfolio of cloud services to better serve all the needs of its customers. The company is also announcing that VMware Cloud on AWS is expanding to Europe. And VMware is expanding its partner programs for VMware cloud on AWS.
Cloud use is continuing to grow and the level of complexity of applications is driving organizations to use multiple clouds for their needs and for data protection. Seeing the demand for various services, VMware has taken its own Cloud services and greatly expanded upon them. These new expansions and services enable customers to leverage any cloud environment while still providing visibility, operations, automation, security and governance.
New expansions and services include:
- VMware Hybrid Cloud Extension Service for Private Cloud: A SaaS offering that provides application mobility and infrastructure hybridity across different vSphere versions, on-premises and in the cloud. Previously announced Hybrid Cloud Extension services for both IBM Cloud and VMware Cloud on AWS are now available, and VMware has now added a news service for self-managed private enterprise datacenters. Hybrid Cloud Extension provides the operational support that enables enterprises to complete large-scale workload movement in environments spanning multiple private data center locations. Hybrid Cloud Extension enables enterprises to manage secure application migration without modification, with little or no application downtime, and across heterogeneous VMware vSphere environments. Cloud migration is simplified by eliminating the need to replatform, retest, or change cloud tooling, all while maintaining business continuity, application uptime, network architectures and performance. With the general availability of Hybrid Cloud Extension for both IBM Cloud and VMware Cloud on AWS, customers can also extend their VMware- based environments to the public cloud for on-demand capacity and geographical expansion.
- Expanded Wavefront by VMware Service: This SaaS-based, high-scale, metrics monitoring and analytics platform supports cloud-native and enterprise applications, and both public and private cloud infrastructure, including AWS, Google Cloud Platform, and now VMware Cloud on AWS. VMware has added 45 new integrations that will expand the set of information that can be unified, visualized and monitored by Wavefront, helping customers better optimize applications and deliver more compelling reporting and dashboards for dynamic applications. Wavefront now supports application platform services such as Pivotal Cloud Foundry (PCF) and enterprise applications running on VMware-based private clouds. Wavefront also now integrates with VMware vRealize Operations, empowering IT to partner with lines of business and application owners by providing rapid onboarding of Wavefront, agent lifecycle management and control, and shared visibility not only of the infrastructure, but also for the applications that run on top.
- VMware Log Intelligence Service: The newest offering for VMware Cloud Services, Log Intelligence delivers deep operational insights into VMware-based data centers and VMware Cloud on AWS. Log Intelligence provides rapid IT troubleshooting and centralized log management across multiple clouds including VMware Cloud on AWS. Log Intelligence uses machine learning algorithms, real-time log analytics and rich dashboards to continuously scan for anomalies in data center and cloud environments, deliver high-performance log search and give IT visibility into application behavior and the health of underlying infrastructure.
- Expanded VMware Cost Insight Service: Adding to the existing support for AWS, Microsoft Azure and VMware private cloud data centers, Cost Insight now delivers detailed assessments for migrating workloads to VMware Cloud on AWS, calculating the capacity and the cost of running apps in private or public clouds. Cost Insight offers a deep understanding into the true cost of migration through integration with VMware Network Insight, giving IT a more accurate view of the total cost of an app, including the estimates on network egress and storage IOPS costs post migration. Cost Insight offers an array of savings recommendations, alerts and reporting capabilities including the ability to set cost thresholds to manage costs and maintain budget.
VMware is expanding its VMware Cloud on AWS to Europe, to the AWS London Region, and is announcing new capabilities. Expanding into Europe brings all of the benefits of VMware Cloud on AWS to more customers, in other worlds the benefits of both VMware and AWS. VMware Cloud on AWS helps customers migrate to the cloud faster with more security, and now those benefits are being brought to a new region along with new capabilities.
New capabilities include:
- Mission-Critical Application Protections: New capabilities will protect applications against different types of failures, from data center and availability zone outages, to host and VM-level failures. VMware Cloud on AWS will provide Zero recovery point objective (RPO) high availability for any application across AWS Availability Zones (AZ) with Stretched Clusters for VMware Cloud on AWS. This unique service will significantly improve enterprise application availability without needing to architect it into the application, by leveraging powerful VMware infrastructure capabilities, enabling developers to focus on adding business value.
- Data-Intensive Application Enhancements: With the acceleration of big-data volumes in the cloud, data-intensive workloads can now take advantage of native VMware vSAN compression and deduplication to reduce Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) while benefiting from the performance of all-flash storage. It is estimated that customers can cut storage costs in half for typical workloads with native vSAN deduplication and compression while reducing idle resources with elastic, on-demand compute used only when needed. As an example, a customer with typical workloads and a 150TB storage need can save up to $1.2M on an VMware Cloud on AWS software-defined data center (SDDC) cluster over a 3-year period, based on VMware internal testing.
- VMware vMotion for Workload Migration: VMware vMotion between on-premises and VMware Cloud on AWS, and between hosts across clusters within VMware Cloud on AWS SDDC is now available. VMware will also be adding vMotion between hosts in a stretched cluster across two AWS availability zones.
- Anytime, Anywhere Access to Desktops: Support for VMware Horizon will enable customers to easily deploy and run Horizon virtual desktops and applications on VMware Cloud on AWS with cloud consumption economics. VMware Horizon will enable customers to extend on-premises desktop services via the cloud without buying additional hardware, and co-locate virtual desktops or published applications near latency-sensitive applications in the cloud. Customers will be able to leverage elastic capacity as a cost-effective way to protect on-premises Horizon 7 deployments or fill temporary needs.
- Simplified Cloud Migration and Operations: VMware is making it faster and easier to setup, configure and manage SDDC environments on VMware Cloud on AWS. Integration with AWS CloudFormation and Hashicorp Terraform enable customers to automate VMware software-defined data center (SDDC)-level provisioning using popular and familiar DevOps tools. VMware is also introducing developer center, which is integrated into the VMware Cloud on AWS service console and offers automation experts, DevOps engineers, and developers a central portal to gain access to detailed API information, Software Development Kits, code samples, and command line interfaces. Additionally, customers will be able to accelerate initial networking configuration and improve ongoing operations with networking and security capabilities provided by VMware NSX, including Tunnel Status Monitor, Connectivity Checker and Firewall Rule Accelerator.
VMware is expanding its partner network to include VMware Cloud on AWS. This gives partners new avenues of training, access to expertise, joint marketing, and potential new revenue streams. VMware is adding the VMware Cloud on AWS Solution Competency, which offers sales and technical training.
Services in the AWS EU (London) region, VMware vSAN deduplication and compression, AWS CloudFormation, and Hashicorp Terraform integration are available now.