March 29th, 2016 by Adam Armstrong
Dell Releases SonicOS 6.2.5
Today Dell Security announced the release of the latest OS for its SonicWALL line of firewalls, SonicOS 6.2.5. This latest update is centered around making management easier while enhancing security. The update extends security to Dell switches, wireless access points and firewalls while also advancing capabilities associated with inspecting encrypted traffic. SonicOS 6.2.5 meets the strict certification requirements of the US Department of Defense.
The latest update makes management simpler by providing one version of firmware for most of its SonicWALL products. The new update also simplifies both distributed enterprises and managed service providers network management by enabling central management of distributed converged networks with the Dell Networking X-Series switches by SonicWALL TZ series firewalls and SonicWALL Global Management System. SonicOS also increases connection counts on encrypted HTTPS sessions, enabling stronger encryption support and expanding government certification for high security applications. Dell Security also claims the updates will show improved performance, increased flexibility and security.
- New Dell Networking X-Series Switch Integration: Organizations now can effectively manage Dell X-Series switches as an extension of the Dell SonicWALL TZ series firewall functionality, providing single-pane-of-glass management of all network infrastructure, including SonicWALL TZ firewalls, Dell X-Series switches, SonicWALL SonicPoints and SonicWALL WAN Acceleration devices. Dell SonicWALL TZ Series integration with the Dell Networking X-Series switches delivers the necessary security and expandability without the burden of having extra management consoles that increase complexity, overhead costs, and result in the potential for misconfiguration and non-compliance issues.
- DPI SSL Enhancements: multiple DPI SSL enhancements to SonicOS 6.2.5 provide more efficient inspection of DPI SSL traffic, as well as improved troubleshooting, better scalability and better certificate support. Key enhancements include:
- CFS category-based exclusion/inclusion of encrypted connections for efficient standards compliance (PCI, HIPPA)
- Strengthened Encryption Methods (TLS 1.2, SHA256)
- Increased default Certificate Authority (CA) database
- Improved troubleshooting for encrypted connection failures
- Finer granularity for encrypted connection exclusions based on alternate domain names
- Refreshed GUI for easy-to-use configuration of encrypted connection processing
SonicOS 6.2.5 is available now on Dell SonicWALL SuperMassive 9600/9400/9200, NSA6600/5600/4600/3600/2600 and TZ600/500/500 W/400/400 W/300/300 W/SOHO W next-generation firewalls worldwide