March 1st, 2016 by Lyle Smith
WD Announces 8TB/16TB Models of Hard Drives and External Storage Solutions
Western Digital Corporation has announced the addition of 8TB drives to its line of storage solutions for NAS, video surveillance and desktop external use cases. Each of these storage solutions will be equipped with HelioSeal helium-technology 8TB HDDs, which will allow for both maximum storage and efficient performance. WD has also indicated that some products will have 16TB capacities as well, consisting of two 8TB drives in RAID 0.
WD has released the list of the products that will be the getting 8TB (and/or 16TB) upgrades:
- External Hard Drives
- My Book and My Book for Mac: An external hard drive solution that provides complete backup and storage with USB connectivity.
- My Book Duo and My Book Pro: Dual-drive external hard drive solutions which provide ultra-fast storage in RAID-0 and complete backup and storage with USB and/or Thunderbolt connectivity and up to 16 TB capacity.
- My Cloud and My Cloud Mirror: A personal storage device that plugs into your router at home to provide consumers with their very own private cloud.
- My Cloud EX2 Ultra: As part of the creative professional series of My Cloud products, the My Cloud EX2 Ultra provides high-performance two-bay network attached storage.
- Internal Hard Drives
- WD Purple: Engineered for 24/7, always-on, high-definition surveillance security systems that use up to eight hard drives and up to 32 cameras
- WD Red: Optimized for personal, home and small business NAS (network attached storage) systems
- WD Red Pro: Optimized for small business and enterprise class NAS systems with high performance and reliability.
Availability and Pricing
My Book and My Book for Mac 8TB models are currently available for roughly $300 USD.
My Cloud, My Book Duo, My Book Pro, WD Red, WD Red Pro and WD Purple 8TB configurations are slated for a release during the first half of 2016. Pricing will be available in the near future.