August 31st, 2017 by Lyle Smith
WD Announces SanDisk iXpand Base For iPhone & 400GB microSD Card
Western Digital has announced two new SanDisk memory products: the SanDisk iXpand Base for iPhone backup and charging, and the industry’s highest capacity microSD card for use in mobile devices, the 400GB SanDisk Ultra microSDXC UHS-I. Both of these products are available today.
The iXpand comes in capacities of 32GB through 256GB, giving users a viable alternative to paying monthly fees for cloud-based storage. It sports a compact form factor design so it can sit on a desk without it taking up too much space. Additionally, its soft rubber top allows phones to be set securely in place and features a nice wrap-around groove to keep a Lighting cable out of the way. You can also complete charges very quickly via its 15W charging power.
Using the iXpand Base is simple: just plug the device into a phone, and it will automatically back up user content via the iOS app (while charging at the same time). Restoring backed up content is just as easy. Once in the app, simply tap restore to transfer files back to the iPhone.
SanDisk iXpand Base Specifications
- Capacities: 256GB, 128GB, 64GB, 32GB
- Dimensions: 25.36 x 101.00 x 107.00 mm or 0.99 x 3.98 x 4.21 in. (HxWxL)
- Weight: 189.66g
- iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone SE, iPad Air, iPad mini, iPad mini 4, iPad Pro 12.9", iPad Pro 9.7" iPad with Retina display, with Lightning connector and iOS 10+
- Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Chrome OS, Mac OS X v10.8 and higher
- Warranty: 2-year limited warranty
The 400GB SanDisk Ultra is touted as the world’s highest-capacity microSD card for mobile devices. This new massive microSD card can hold up to 40 hours of full HD video and features transfer speeds up to 100MB/s. Moreover, the 400GB SanDisk Ultra microSD card meets the A1 App Performance Class specification, meaning that mobile apps will be able to load faster.
The updated SanDisk Memory Zone app is available for free on the Google Play store, allowing users to easily locate, organize, transfer and back up data from their phone, including tagged content from Facebook and Instagram.
400GB SanDisk Ultra microSDXC UHS-I Card Specifications
- Capacity: 400GB
- Performance: Up to 100MB/s read speed
- Dimensions: 0.59in x .043in x .03in (14.99mm x 10.92mm x 1.02mm)
- Operating temperatures: -13ºF to 185ºF (-25ºC to 85ºC)
- Storage temperatures: -40ºF to 185ºF (-40ºC to 85ºC)
- Compatibility: Compatible with microSDHC and microSDXC supporting host devices
The new 400GB SanDisk Ultra microSDXC UHS-I card features a very generous ten-year limited warranty priced at $249.99.