May 21st, 2015 by Adam Armstrong
Dell Updates Its Engineered Solutions For EVO:RAIL
Today Dell Inc. announced the general availability of a new hyper-converged end-to-end virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) appliance for VMware EVO:RAIL, Dell Engineered Solutions for VMware EVO:RAIL Horizon Edition (HE). Dell is also announcing the first update to Dell Engineered Solutions for VMware EVO:RAIL, infrastructure edition 1.2. Both solutions are aimed at giving customers faster time-to-value, elasticity, and greater ease of use.
Dell and VMware have a long history of working with one another. Their collaborations have led to efficient virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions that are easy to deploy and manage. With VMware EVO:RAIL HE, Dell is the first vendor to offer hyper-converged end-to-end VDI for EVO:RAIL. The Horizon Edition enables organizations of any size to quickly and easily deploy VDI using Dell servers and VMware EVO:RAIL software. The updated infrastructure edition brings new features to customers such as serviceability automation and increased scalability.
Benefits of both solutions include:
- Reduced TCO: With a reduction in power consumption and operating costs, the Dell Engineered Solutions for VMware EVO:RAIL reduce TCO by up to 63.9% over three years compared to a do-it-yourself solution
- Greater ease of use: With a single-pane-of-glass management experience, Dell Engineered Solutions for VMware EVO:RAIL provide zero downtime, easier upgrades, patch management, and out-of-the-box integrations with existing VMware management tooling. Updating Dell Engineered Solutions for VMware EVO:RAIL takes 88% fewer steps compared to a do-it-yourself solution.
- Rapid deployment, reduced risk: Deploying Dell Engineered Solutions for EVO:RAIL is dramatically simplified compared with a do-it-yourself solution. EVO:RAIL reduces the steps required to stand up a new private cloud from 683 to 50. This speeds up the deployment process but also greatly reduces the possibility for human error, reducing risk of delays and downtime.
With Dell Engineered Solutions for VMware EVO:RAIL Horizon Edition, dell makes VDI easier to plan, deploy, and run. Dell makes VDI with EVO:RAIL easier with Dell Wyse PCoIP zero clients and all-in-one thin clients for VMware. EVO:RAIL Horizon Edition reduces the number of steps to deploy by up to 92% compared to a do-it-yourself solution. The solution also reduces the traditional ordering cycle by one third, shrinking implementation from multiple weeks to hours, and pilot time from months to weeks. Each EVO:RAIL Horizon Edition appliance scales up to 250 virtual desktop VMs, and with eight appliances (the current maximum) they can scale up to 2,000 persistent virtual desktop VMs.
The 1.2 infrastructure edition update is the first update to Dell Engineered Solutions for VMware EVO:RAIL since it was announced last year. This update offers an easier user experience, more capacity, and creates a simple path to a future-ready IT environment.
Benefits with the new update include:
- Improved linear scale-out capabilities: The Dell Engineered Solutions for VMware EVO:RAIL allows customers to easily scale performance, bandwidth, and capacity by adding appliances as their business needs increase, reducing the number of steps to bring on more servers from 329 to 17. The update increases the maximum scalability of a single cluster from four appliances to eight, with each appliance designed for approximately 100 general purpose VMs. With each appliance containing four server nodes, the new maximum cluster size is increased from 16 to 32 nodes, supporting approximately 800 general purpose VMs.
- Automated serviceability: VMwIn the event of a failed drive, a customer can now replace it with a simple click of a button which automates backend tasks to add the host back to the cluster. This frees up time spent on maintenance, and allowing for more time to be spent on strategic projects.
- Reduced licensing costs: The adoption of the VMware EVO:RAIL vSphere Loyalty Program allows eligible customers to apply existing VMware licenses to the purchase of Dell Engineered Solutions for VMware EVO:RAIL, preserving their existing investment in VMware software while reducing the overall cost of the appliance purchase.
Both the Dell Engineered Solutions for VMware EVO:RAIL Horizon Edition and Dell Engineered Solutions for VMware EVO:RAIL, infrastructure edition 1.2 solutions are available today directly through Dell or through Dell’s PartnerDirect Partners.