December 2nd, 2014 by Lyle Smith
Dell Wyse vWorkspace 8.5 Announced
Dell cloud client-computing has announced Dell Wyse vWorkspace 8.5, the latest version of its high-performance desktop virtualization software. This release makes Dell the only solutions provider in the industry that offers organizations an end-to-end solution with VDI connection broker software, with simplicity, scalability, performance, and one point of contact for support.
The Wyse vWorkspace 8.5 software essential to Dell’s end-to-end Wyse Datacenter for Microsoft VDI and vWorkspace desktop virtualization solution. It is also designed to offer integrated infrastructure options to organizations all the while ensuring enterprise-level performance. vWorkspace architected to be a cost effective solution for organizations of types and sizes due to the highest user density per server, built-in monitoring, and all-inclusive licensing costs. In addition, Wyse vWorkspace supports familiar Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware vSphere hypervisors and can be managed by desktop support personnel, allowing customers to manage without needing a specialized staff or consultants.
In the latest release of vWorkspace, users will be provided with the vWorkspace connector for HTML5 at no additional cost, drastically improving mobility capabilities and support for more devices. It also enables access to Windows applications and desktops from any device that supports a browser. It does so without the need for any client software installation on the end point while providing secure access from Chrome OS devices. In addition, vWorkspace connector for HTML5 supports BYOD programs for Dell education customers and service providers looking to provide access without having to deploy or manage anything on the user’s device. Users now have secure access to all of their data and applications from any browser and management requirements for IT personnel are significantly reduced.
Additional new features of vWorkspace 8.5 include:
- Easier access and configuration with policy-based deployment and configuration: Users are automatically offered the vWorkspace connector that is compatible with their device, and the vWorkspace connection broker configures first-time user settings and will be up and running in minutes without needing training or instruction guides. It also allows IT administrators to grant or revoke access at any time, for any user, more securely.
- Simplified scaling through Secure Access Service: Provides secure remote access for up to 10,000 users through a single Windows Server Virtual Machine (VM) that sits behind the corporate firewall. These Secure Access Service VMs can be load balanced to provide scalability to meet the needs of very large deployments by customers and service providers.
- More use cases with Wyse Streaming Manager (WSM) software: Customers who purchase vWorkspace Premier Edition, or who have current maintenance on vWorkspace Premier Edition, will now receive Wyse WSM 7.2 as part of the software maintenance agreement. WSM will enable IT to deliver centrally managed, client-hosted virtual desktops or virtual servers to diskless endpoints and cloud desktops, as well as centrally manage departmental applications on client and cloud-hosted virtual desktops.
- Support for unified communications, including Cisco, Lync, Avaya and Skype
- Much easier to install compared to previous versions (e.g. Quick wizards)
- Complete, “premium class” virtual desktop functionality for less than $100 per seat
- Leverages native Microsoft technologies to provide a simple, flexible, high-performance desktop virtualization solution.
Wyse vWorkspace 8.5 is currently available from Dell and through Dell PartnerDirect Preferred and Premier Partners in the US and globally beginning December 9, 2014. Price starts at less than $100 USD per seat.