November 29th, 2019 by Adam Armstrong
News Bits: Liqid, DDN, KIOXIA, Igneous, Ryussi, Unisys, Rackspace, & NetApp
This week’s News Bits we look at a number of small announcements, small in terms of the content, not the impact they have. Liqid announces $28 Million in funding. Tintri by DDN reports great third quarter for 2019 and DDN finishes its acquisition of IntelliFlash. KIOXIA introduces 512GB automotive UFS. Igneous DataProtect now supports Azure Blob. Ryussi releases MoSMB-S3 Gateway. Unisys launches CloudForte for ServiceNow. Rackspace and NetApp partner to reduce Costs of VMware Cloud on AWS.
Liqid Announces $28 Million In Funding
Liqid announced that it has raised an additional $28 million in Series B funding bringing their total raised to $50 million. The Series B funding led by Panorama Point Partners, with participation from Iron Gate Capital, and affiliates of DH Capital. Liqid will use the funding for accelerated growth, increasing budgets for personnel in operations, sales, marketing, engineering, and other business-critical functions.
Tintri by DDN Reports Great 3Q19
Tintri by DDN announced four consecutive quarters of growth and that it exceeded $80 million in annualized sales. Tintri was also awarded two new patents. In other DDN news, the company has finished its acquisition of IntelliFlash from Western Digital Corp.
KIOXIA Introduces 512GB Automotive UFS
KIOXIA America, Inc. announced what it is calling the industry’s first 512GB Automotive Universal Flash Storage (UFS). The new UFS is built on the company’s BiCS Flash 3D flash memory and can withstand a wide temperature range (-40°C to +105°C), meets AEC-Q100 Grade2 requirements and offers the extended reliability required by various automotive applications. The new UFS is sampling now.
Igneous DataProtect Now Supports Azure Blob
Igneous announced that its DataProtect Backup and Archive as-a-Service is now able to target all Microsoft Azure Blob Storage tiers. Combining the technology with Azure Blob Storage gives users a cost-effective option for replacing all on-premises backup and archive with cloud storage. Now both DataProtect and DataDiscover are available in the Azure Marketplace.
Ryussi Releases MoSMB-S3 Gateway
Ryussi Technologies announced the release of its MoSMB-S3 Gateway for Object Storage vendors. Key features include:
- Enforces native file system semantics including open mode flags and locks for read and write operations
- Supports enterprise grade authentication via Kerberos in Active Directory environments
- Inherits the powerful security features of the SMB 3 protocol for ensuring safety and security of data
- Support for Windows, MacOS and Linux clients. Allows use of Mac Finder and Windows Explorer to browse buckets as standard SMB shares.
- Supports logical directory structure while maintaining compatibility with object store dash boards.
- Local data caching providing low latency & high throughput for the most active data
- Caching of directory tree structure and metadata for faster response to metadata requests.
- Multi-threaded architecture allowing parallel uploads and downloads for faster read & write operations
- High performance data transfer enabled by reads and writes over RDMA transport
Unisys Launches CloudForte For ServiceNow
Unisys Corporation announced the availability of Unisys CloudForte for ServiceNow. Benefits include:
- Modern IT service management: CloudForte for ServiceNow delivers modern IT service management practices with cognitive artificial intelligence, intelligent knowledge management, complete transparency and comprehensive automation. It transforms the user experience and lowers service costs;
- Digital service solutions: CloudForte provides templates and pre-configured solutions for automating digital services that extend beyond IT management. By leveraging the integration, reporting and workflows capabilities of ServiceNow, CloudForte delivers powerful solutions to transform business services;
- Modern application delivery: CloudForte for ServiceNow provides integrated DevOps tools with ServiceNow components, a low-code/no-code development feature for rapid application development and continuous delivery of high-quality software;
- Secure mission hosting: CloudForte for ServiceNow accelerates the migration, implementation, compliance and security accreditation for hosting ServiceNow in high-security cloud platforms for clients like those in the U.S. Department of Defense, the State of Georgia Technology Authority and other critical functions in government and the private sector.
Rackspace & NetApp Partner To Reduce Costs Of VMware Cloud on AWS
Rackspace has partnered with NetApp to deliver a fully managed, globally available, cloud attached storage solution that integrates natively as a datastore with VMware Cloud on AWS. Key features include:
- The solution leverages NetApp’s Cloud Volumes and is fully managed by Rackspace. It allows customers to attach external NFS storage as native datastores into Rackspace Managed VMware Cloud on AWS.
- Doing so enables customers the freedom to grow their storage architecture without adding hosts in their VMC on AWS environment.
- This solution is ideal for a variety of use cases, including:
- Low cost disaster recovery
- Storage heavy workloads
- Cloud migration