February 1st, 2018 by Adam Armstrong
Synology Releases 3U RackStation RS2818RP+
Today Synology Inc. launched its first 3U Plus series rackmount NAS with the release of RackStation RS2818RP+. This new NAS centers around large storage capacity for lower TCO for SMBs. Along with the new NAS, Synology is also announcing that its next business-day replacement service, Synology Replacement Service (SRS), is now available in North America.
The RackStation RS2818RP+ has 16 bays for a maximum raw capacity up to 192TB, 336TB when using the RX1217(RP) expansion. The new NAS is power by an Intel Atom C3508 quad-core CPU and up to 64GB of DDR4 non-ECC UDIMM RAM. The RS2818RP+ comes with four Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports but it can be expaned with 10GbE NICs to hit numbers of 1.4GB/s sequential read and 26K IOPS random write. As with all Synology products, the new RackStation RS2818RP+ will run DiskStation Manager (DSM).
RackStation RS2818RP+ key specifications:
- Form factor: 3U
- CPU: Intel Atom C3538 64-Bit Quad Core 2.1 Ghz
- Memory: up to 64GB of DDR4
- Drive bays: 16 (28 with expansion)
- Compatible drive types: 3.5” SATA HDD, 2.5” SATA HDD, 2.5” SATA SSD
- Max raw capacity: 192TB (336TB with expansion)
- 4 x RJ-45 1GbE LAN
- 2 x USB 3.0
- 1 x eSATA
- PCIe: 1 x Gen3 x8 slot
- File system
- 2 x 500W
- AC Input Power Voltage: 100V to 240V AC
- Power Frequency: 50/60 Hz, Single Phase
- Power Consumption:
- 138.1 W (Access)
- 66.7 W (HDD Hibernation)
- System Fan: 80 mm x 80 mm x 3 pcs
- Dimensions (HxWxD): 132.3 mm x 482 mm x 656.5 mm
- Weight: 17.4 kg
As the name implies, Synology Replacement Service (SRS) is a service that replaces units on the next business-day. While SRS has been available for some time, it is now available to North America where United States and Canadian customers can take advantage of it.
The Synology RackStation RS2818RP+ and SRS are both available now.