October 12th, 2015 by Lyle Smith
NetApp Announces New Data Fabric Solutions and Services
NetApp has announced new Data Fabric solutions and services that are designed offer the data management capabilities organizations need to achieve success in the hybrid cloud era. Initially released around this time last year, Data Fabric is NetApp’s vision for the future of data management. Now, the company has indicated that it has partnered with their growing partners and service providers to create integrated solutions and services that make the Data Fabric real.
Included among the announcements is NetApp’s Data Fabric Solution Essentials, which are comprised of low barrier-to-entry starter kits help customers excel and quickly see the benefits of a hybrid cloud model. As such, NetApp has targeted three common applications for moving, managing and protecting data across performance levels and locations. These include:
- Application Acceleration solution kit: This kit allows customers to easily and efficiently deploy a four-node flash and disk cluster for Microsoft SQL Server or Oracle databases. In addition, it demonstrates the unique capabilities of NetApp all-flash and clustered Data ONTAP to protect against data loss, provide high, consistent performance and deliver comprehensive data management across flash, disk and cloud resources using a single platform.
- OpenStack solution kit with FlexPod: This provides customers with a solution to get up and running on an OpenStack private cloud in just days (opposed to months) with all known costs and proven capabilities. This solution gives corporate IT the ability to deliver competitive cloud services at scale to their internal business clients all the most important advantages of a public cloud all the while maintaining data control and reducing cost.
- Snap-to-Cloud DR solution kit: This kit demonstrates the value of the cloud for maintaining business continuity as well as retaining control of business data for disaster recovery (DR) operations. Moving DR operations to the cloud offers numerous benefits including reducing data center space and storage infrastructure, resulting in cost savings and flexibility. The kit also includes a one-year license for the NetApp Cloud ONTAP software subscription in addition to installation services and three years of support.
NetApp also announced four new Data Fabric Enablement Services to give customers greater peace-of-mind in embracing hybrid cloud strategies. As a result, NetApp claims they will gain confidence in building their own data fabrics:
- Cloud Sourcing Strategy Workshop: This service identifies and prioritizes business applications and aligns each to the most appropriate cloud model: private, public, or hybrid.
- Service Catalog Design: This defines a set of storage services, clarifies service requirements, identifies standard configurations, and creates a service catalog to help customers meet their service level agreements.
- Service Platform Design: Rationalizes the infrastructure and designs service platforms to dramatically reduce complexity and operational disruption.
- NetApp Private Storage for Cloud Implementation Service: Provides turnkey configuration and deployment of a hybrid cloud solution that enables a multi-cloud environment, delivered jointly by NetApp and partners.